spark plugs [Archive] - Honda VTX forums for Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 motorcycles

: spark plugs

bikerdude 10
05-22-2011, 11:17 PM
what is recommeded for spark plugs. manual calls for ngk dcpr6e. is there something better

Justin Powell
05-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Some recommed the Champion brand equivelent. Which is what Im running right now. I dont notice a difference one way or another.

You can also run NGK DCPR7E (I think thats the right number...). One is a higher performance plug. I cant recall which...

ridineasy
05-23-2011, 01:32 AM
I run the ngk DCP7E IR wich are the iridium version and they are excellent..completely stock no need to use choke fires right up just burp the throttle a couple of times shes good to go.
If you dont believe me ask Gonzo he was very impressed at the tech session and just to make sure(i am not the original owner) he took my carb apart to see if it was still stock.

rcook52459
05-23-2011, 08:03 AM
H-D Standard 6R12
H-D Gold 6R12G
H-D Platinum 6R12PP
Champion RA8HC
Autolite 4164
Autolite Platinum AP4164DP2
ACCEL 2418
Y2418P
Splitfire SF416D
Screamin Eagle EX12S
EX12P
ACDelco
NGK DCPR7E
Bosch
Denso Iridium IXU22

WoodyZ
05-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Nice list Richard. Thanks.

catzuk
05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm usually a NGK fan as thats all I will use in my cars/trucks. But I have to say, with advise from this board, I used the champions this time and the motor is smoother throughout the entire rpm band. I can honestly say I noticed a difference useing them.

mooneydriver
05-23-2011, 02:12 PM
I run Champions, but had great ride with the NGKs for years. Wishing you a nice day.

RandyHut
05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
These will Work as well. Advance Auto has them on a card for $3 for two plugs. I am running them, they are somewhere between Orig Design and Today's Designs with the necked down center electrode.

Autolite 4164 Spark Plug Copper Core, Necked Down Center Electrode, Nickel Plated Shell

Since its inception, the Autolite® brand has provided the automotive aftermarket and Original Equipment manufacturers the highest quality ignition products. As a leading supplier of spark plugs, ignition wire sets and Coil-on-Plug boots, the Autolite® brand has the right ignition products for you, regardless of your vehicle make or model.

Autolite 4164 Spark Plug Copper Core, Necked Down Center Electrode, Nickel Plated Shell Features:
• Product Type: Resistor
• Heat Range Chart Location: D5
• Hex: 11/16"
• Reach: 3/4"
• Resistor/Non-Resistor/Suppressor: Suppressor
• Seat: Gasket
• Thread Diameter: 12MM
• Tip: Power
• Principal Applications: ARCTIC CAT, GAS GAS, HONDA, KAWASAKI, KYMCO, LUCKY 7, MANCO, SUZUKI, VISION MOTORSPORTS, YAMAHA (ATV's) BIG DOG, BIMOTA, BMW, BUELL, CCM, GAS GAS, HARLEY DAVIDSON, HONDA, KAWASAKI, LUCKY 7, MZ, SUZUKI, ULTIMA MOTORS, VICTORY, YAMAHA (Motorcycles) EVINRUDE

Zrex1
05-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I run the ngk DCP7E IR wich are the iridium version and they are excellent..completely stock no need to use choke fires right up just burp the throttle a couple of times shes good to go.
If you dont believe me ask Gonzo he was very impressed at the tech session and just to make sure(i am not the original owner) he took my carb apart to see if it was still stock.

+1 :choppersm

hossam sharaf
09-07-2011, 04:15 PM
hi every one.
im Hossam from Cairo, Egypt,North Africa,,,, I have a black VTX R 1300 model 2006 with 7000 miles on it & a vance long shots exhaust and i am changing my spark plugs as the manual says it is NGK DCPR6E and i couldnt find it in the market now so ppl told me that i can use the DCPR8E or 7E instead so what do you think Charlie is it fine or i will face problems with it ,,!!! for your info we are a hot country here .and as i got from you is that 8E is colder sparks than the 6E so what do you think??

hope i can get some help here ..
thanks again
ride safe
Hossam Shara

RandyHut
09-07-2011, 04:31 PM
They may foul quicker than the 6e plugs

wren
09-07-2011, 04:47 PM
hi every one.
im Hossam from Cairo, Egypt,North Africa,,,, I have a black VTX R 1300 model 2006 with 7000 miles on it & a vance long shots exhaust and i am changing my spark plugs as the manual says it is NGK DCPR6E and i couldnt find it in the market now so ppl told me that i can use the DCPR8E or 7E instead so what do you think Charlie is it fine or i will face problems with it ,,!!! for your info we are a hot country here .and as i got from you is that 8E is colder sparks than the 6E so what do you think??

hope i can get some help here ..
thanks again
ride safe
Hossam Shara

The 7 will be fine for your location. It's a slightly cooler burning plug than the 6. Using the 8 might be just a touch too cool.

Wren

irv
09-08-2011, 07:34 AM
ngk now has an iridium replacement for the dcpr6e.
dcpr6eix. came out in 09. the dcpr7 series is 1
step cooler than stock.honda says use that for
a lot of high speed running.ive used the 7eix for
years but will be trying the 6 this week