now its white smoke coming out of the pipes!! ??? [Archive] - Honda VTX forums for Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 motorcycles

: now its white smoke coming out of the pipes!! ???

JdubsVTXXX
07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Okay, I swear this is the last thread Ill write exhibiting my expansive lack of motorcycle engine knowledge.

Here is the deal, after I get done riding, I hear this little hissing noise coming from my exhaust tips. And little whisps of white smoke come out of the bottom pipe. Sometimes the top one. But never both of them at the same time. And when I say little whisps of smoke, that's an underexageration. Picture the smoking barrel of a revolver, but on a much larger scale.

Anyone know what the problem may be? And am i doing any long term damage to the bike by riding it still, even tho it smokes when I get off of it? Please, any input would be appreciated. I don't wanna screw up my bike!

Toadman
07-24-2007, 10:30 PM
White is coolant steam. Blue smoke=oil. Black is fuel in rich amounts. Are you sure it's white and can you smell it as anti-freeze? Can you pull your spark plugs, sniff them and let us know how they look visually? Hang in there Jdubs, we're here for ya. ;)

Charlie D
07-24-2007, 10:32 PM
what is your humidity level, do you have the pair valve hooked up.
What is you coolent level in the overflow tank.
have you had your coolent check in the main system.

if you have the repair manual it will tell how to check the system out.

vtxwtats
07-24-2007, 10:50 PM
sounds like a blown head gasket to me.better check your coolant level.the pipes are connected by a crossover tube,and the smoke could be coming from either cylinder,or both.

epiphysis
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
[quote=JdubsVTXXX;50837]Okay, I swear this is the last thread Ill write exhibiting my expansive lack of motorcycle engine knowledge.

don't worry about posting about stuff you don't know..........many of us don't know much either.......keep posting!!!!

JdubsVTXXX
07-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Okay, so it sounds like a coolant problem huh? What's the severity of the issue? I'm definitely going to remedy the problem asap. But will I be safe to ride it home from work tonight? I'm pretty paranoid now that he said it may be a blown head gasket. I don't have my manual with me at work. Is there a easy way to check the coolant level?? Thanks

Steve
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
head gasket?

Charlie D
07-24-2007, 11:36 PM
look under the bike just in front of the rear wheel there is a coolant overflow tank.

on the shift side there are level indicators make sure it is between the lines.

sometimes a rock will get kicked up and bust the tank, if busted it might have over heated and blown a gasket but it should turn on the light for high temp. if the light isn't on you should be ok.

when you get to your manual it tells how to do the coolent change and burp the system read up and if you think you can check it go for it.

JdubsVTXXX
07-25-2007, 01:33 AM
look under the bike just in front of the rear wheel there is a coolant overflow tank.

on the shift side there are level indicators make sure it is between the lines.

sometimes a rock will get kicked up and bust the tank, if busted it might have over heated and blown a gasket but it should turn on the light for high temp. if the light isn't on you should be ok.

when you get to your manual it tells how to do the coolent change and burp the system read up and if you think you can check it go for it.

to answer your question previous, the humidity is always pretty high here in oklahoma. and the pair valve has been removed. i checked the over flow tank, and it seems to be right between the lines. im hoping this isnt meaning a head gasket. please tell me there may be other causes that could make this happen. lol

BubbaJePH
07-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Is the white smoke coming from inside the pipes? Is it only on start up and then stops? Does it smoke the whole time you are riding? In high humidity and temperature changes you can build condensation inside the exhaust pipes. Especially after running the engine and letting it sit for a few hours through the outside temperature change too. My motorhome / bus will smoke white smoke on start up from time to time. Just burning off moisture sitting in the exhaust. Remember burning gasohol will give off some water vapor too. I hope it is not an engine problem. Check the small stuff before tearing down the big stuff. It may be as serious as a head gasket. May be from over heating and warping the cylinder head. Pull the spark plugs after the bike sits and look for antifreeze. For that matter you should also look at the oil for water / antifreeze in it too.

Sauceman
07-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I seriously doubt it's a head gasket. If the coolant is up to the level and the plugs show the right colours (light tan) it isn't antifreeze. Another check for head gasket is if the oil level has gone up, meaning the coolant is leaking down into the crankcase. The more positive check is a leak down test or a compression test.

My guess would be vapors coming from the combustion chamber from unburned fuel after shutting down the motor. The reason it comes from different pipes and is that the engine never stops in the same position with the same valves open. Check your plugs are they a little rich?

The hissing noise is probably condensation burning off in the pipes. For every gallon of gas you burn it produces a gallon of water, this is what keeps muffler shops in business :hmm2: .

cheers

JdubsVTXXX
07-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I seriously doubt it's a head gasket. If the coolant is up to the level and the plugs show the right colours (light tan) it isn't antifreeze. Another check for head gasket is if the oil level has gone up, meaning the coolant is leaking down into the crankcase. The more positive check is a leak down test or a compression test.

My guess would be vapors coming from the combustion chamber from unburned fuel after shutting down the motor. The reason it comes from different pipes and is that the engine never stops in the same position with the same valves open. Check your plugs are they a little rich?

The hissing noise is probably condensation burning off in the pipes. For every gallon of gas you burn it produces a gallon of water, this is what keeps muffler shops in business :hmm2: .

cheers

thank you for a little positive reassurance, as well as useful info. im going to check the spark plugs for antifreeze this afternoon. ive never dealt with motorcycle antifreeze before. is it basically the same as car antifreeze? will i just be able to smell it and tell if its got that sweet antifreeze smell? your conclusion about why the smoke will come out of different pipes is a very good idea. i would have never thought about that. and yes my bike is running a little rich. it is just weird to me because ive never seen any other bikes smoke like this before. its just right after i shut the bike down, and it lasts for probably a minute. anyways, thanks agian. youre a smart man!

Sauceman
07-25-2007, 09:35 AM
ive never dealt with motorcycle antifreeze before. is it basically the same as car antifreeze? will i just be able to smell it and tell if its got that sweet antifreeze smell?

Tx, and yes it's just like auto antifreeze with that sickly sweet smell. Good luck:choppersm .

cheers