Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Converting from shaft drive to belt drive?

23K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  whiskeyrockr 
#1 ·
This might be a ignorant question, but I'm going to ask anyway....Can you convert a VTX from a shaft drive to a belt drive? (Please keep the laughter down please!) :rolleyes:

#3 ·
You could, but it would be a major mod.
Tranny/crosshaft would have to be modified to accept a pully, as would the rear hub/wheel and the driveshaft is part of the swingarm so you would need a new/modified swingarm.

#4 ·
Why? shaft drives are more reliable. Why would you want that insecurity,trouble and burden.. *If you want that problems there is another brand out there and your local pharmacist can supply you with some headache pain relief.*

Donut/Doug

#17 · (Edited)
Why? shaft drives are more reliable. Why would you want that insecurity,trouble and burden.. *If you want that problems there is another brand out there and your local pharmacist can supply you with some headache pain relief.*

Donut/Doug
i've only 4 bikes that were shaft drive....if you take of the belt or chain it will last forever (other than normal replacement)...i just changed my chain drive kawi to a belt conversion...it's smoother than the chain or shaft drive...if a belt or chain drive causes one a problem, it simply means they tried working on something they knew nothing about is what i've learned about people over the years as the belt or chain is no more of a headache than chaning the gear oil on a shaft drive...

In my humble opinion.....
Any bike with a big 'ol fat tire and a big 'ol fat belt just looks good.

I'm sure any thing is possible
I'd like to see a vtx with that mod.
there use to be a guy whole built and sold chain drive conversions for the X, but he went out of business...if it can be done with a chain, it can be done with a belt for sure :cheers:

I had a shadowace750 that I bought new in 1998. Scootworks was working on a belt drive for that bike and was finally able to market it. It took them years to get the modification finished and that was a chain to belt conversion. They would definitely be the ones to talk to.
they also make a belt drive conversion for the vulcan 800 as well and have converted 3 kawi 1500 classics to belt drive and they have started making an overdrive belt kit for the Kawi 900

I prefer a belt drive bike. The belts can last 80,000 miles if taken care of properly. Same loss of power as a chain. Finals lose 15% easily.
Your better off finding something with a belt drive you like.
just a thought
dd
where did you lose power with a belt? every report i've read, mechanic i've talked to, and those who have converted bikes over gained HP to the rear with a belt or chain over the shaft drive...from experience with all 3, i find the belt as the smoothest and the most effecient and the chain as delivering the most to the rear wheel...never heard of a loss of power from a chain/belt versus the shaft drive

#6 ·
Belts are smoother and loose less HP than shaft drive, and belt drives these days are very reliable.
However I would not convert my X to one.

#7 ·
Thank you for the insight. Belt drives are ugly in my opinion, but more effient on delivery of power. I know the other brand has a 100k warranty on their belts. Was just thinking out loud. Was really wondering if some company made a kit that I could not find on the internet, but sounds like that is not the case. Thanks again for all of you that replied.

#8 ·
I would have thought they were slower to deliver power than the shaft, as they stretch when throttled hard... hmm... I need to learn more.

Mort

#10 ·
to make the power from the engine to the final drive...on a VTX..power must change direction 2 times...power lost...plus the final drive friction...power lost...

current belt drives...like chain drives...power from transmission to rear wheel do not change direction...and NO final drive gears...

but to change the VTX...transmission and Case and frame and rear swingarm and rear wheel will ALL need to be changed or something NEW MADE...Big money and time

#11 ·
belt drive

I had a shadowace750 that I bought new in 1998. Scootworks was working on a belt drive for that bike and was finally able to market it. It took them years to get the modification finished and that was a chain to belt conversion. They would definitely be the ones to talk to.

#14 ·
In my humble opinion.....
Any bike with a big 'ol fat tire and a big 'ol fat belt just looks good.

I'm sure any thing is possible
I'd like to see a vtx with that mod.

#15 ·
We talked about this being a prototype Fury, then someone mentioned it was an 1800 prototype.. but regardless read the print... (ps. the pic we posted was just the bike, not the article)

Mort

#16 ·
IMO the huge rear pulley on belt driven bikes looks like crap.
Shaft drive is virtually maintenance free. The last thought on my mind is whether or not my shaft drive will last through my next ride. I don't trust belt drives, I don't care how long they warranty it for. A warranty doesn't do anything for you on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.