Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

oil change

33K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Retro Rich 
#1 ·
I was wondering how to change the oil and filter on a 1300 R and does anyone use synthetic oil, btw this is a great site

#2 ·
what i do is go for a short ride or just let the bike run for a few minutes gets the oil hot so it runs out easier. then i change it on the sidestand there are two(2) drain plugs under the bike i use a paint pan to slide under to catch the oil since theres not much clearance when the plugs are out and the oil is just dripping or slowly coming out sit on the bike and lean it upright to get the rest off the oil out. Then change the filter which right there near the plugs easy to see when under the bike then fill her back up and your done:beer:

#3 ·
You can do everything with the bike on the kickstand, no jack is required. The whole process should take no more than 30 minutes, most of that time is spent waiting for the oil to drip out.
For synthetic oil I use Mobil One Racing 4T 10-40 from Walmart ($8.23 a bottle). Purolator Pure One PL14610 is the filter I use, $6.00 at any auto parts store.

#4 ·
As the others have said, easy, no jack needed, just a pan that will fit underneath. I put a piece of 2x4 under the stand to bring it a little more level.

I use Shell Rotella T 5w40 (blue bottle) around $16 for the 4qt at WallyMArt and the Wally Supertech filter ST 7317 (about $2.50) which got excellent reviews as far as filters go.

#5 ·
1300R is no different than the other models of the 1300. 17mm socket to remove both crank case drain bolts. The stock honda filter and most others are short enough to use an end cap oil wrench. The Pro One Purlator you need a strap wrench. It is longer. The end cap will not fit as the coolant recovery can is in the way. Lube the O ring with oil on the oil filter and spin it back on 1/4 turn past hand tight. Do not use synthetic oil in a new motor. Not until you get at least 3,000 miles on the odometer. After that, it is OK to use synthetic. You may want to change the rear end oil every 6,000 miles. Get some good synthetic differential oil for the rear. I leave the bike on the kick stand and remove the top bolt from the rear end. Then, remove the bottom one. Get your pan under it to catch that oil. Once drained, I replace the bottom bolt and fill up the top opening until it is about to run out. When I refill the rear end, I stand the kick stand on a block so the bike is then upright. I use Royal Purple oil in both. 10w - 40 motor and the 75w - 95 rear. I may try the Rotella 5w - 40 for the motor on the next oil change. I need to buy crush washers for all the bolts for the next oil change. I'll have 12,000 on the next change. June, is dump and refill with fresh brake fluid as it will be two years old then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.