Smokes sometimes - help!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smokes sometimes - help!!!!

Smokes sometimes - help!!!!

First timer worried bout my bike. Blows a little smoke on start up. Only happening part of the time. Runs good idles good. In 1,000 miles burned bout 6 ounces of oil and plugs look spent

oldcop812 is offline Senior Member Florida Riders Group
    Hello and Welcome to the Cafe from Port Orange, FL. Some one will chime soon and give you good advice, this is the place to find all your answers about VTX.

Vinish is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Sounds like it is running way too rich which is easy to fix or it is burning a lot of oil which is probably a major problem. Assuming it is the former, you need some carb adjustments/tuning. I am not a carb expert but look for any post by Charlie D and at the bottom of his post in his signature is an excellent process for tuning your carb. To do this, you will be best off if you buy and install Glen's permanent A/F screw. Depending on how much modifying you want to do to the carb, you may also want to buy a Factory Pro jet kit and install the parts as dictated in the Charlie D write-up.

G'day,

Vinish

Donut is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    If you are using the choke for starting that's why. Use it sparingly.
    Also your bike is most likely set lean from the factory, yes I did say lean and that I'm guessing you are using the choke.

mjklaser is offline Senior Member New Hampshire Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate's Rider View Post
    First timer worried bout my bike. Blows a little smoke on start up. Only happening part of the time. Runs good idles good. In 1,000 miles burned bout 6 ounces of oil and plugs look spent
    Are you using the choke to start the bike? It would explain the fouled plugs but not the oil consumption. The rate at which you are consuming oil seems high (about a quart in 5k miles). Keep an eye on that with increasing mileage to see if it maintains that pace and is not just measurement error...

Thanks everyone for the replies. I haven't had the bike long and know the guy who had it first but not too well. It has V&H cruisers and I suspect it wasn't jetted right. He installed a K&N air filter and over soaked it with charging fluid. At first I thought it was the source of the smoke. I also found his full mark for checking the oil was with the dip stick screwed completely in Probably should have posted that the first time. I put 1,000 miles on it and checking the oil it was at the low mark. Happy to be on this forum. Thanks again everyone.

Yes I do start it and warm up with the choke. Doesn't stay running without. Work the throttle I guess??

Vinish is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate's Rider View Post
    Yes I do start it and warm up with the choke. Doesn't stay running without. Work the throttle I guess??
    You would be better off installing a FActory Pro jet kit. Until then, see what you can do to start it while using as little choke as possible. Start with zero choke, twist throttle 3 times, hold throttle about 1/4-1/3 open, hit starter button, play with throttle to get it running at a decent rpm but not screaming. Hold for 30 seconds and see if it will stay running. If above does not work, you may have to use a bit of choke - say 1/4 open until you re-jet.

G'day,

Vinish

Donut is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Can you contact the previous owner and see what brand and size jets are in it. Also if he was a member of a bike board.
    Using choke to keep it running. ?? Not a good ides and cn and will foul the plugs. Also when warmed up it should not sound like a HD , potato,potato,potato and if it dose because the idle is set to low and you will not get enough oil pumping up.
    My bike warm up without the choke and with slight hand throttle for th first 30 sec thn in a minute or so I ride.
    if the bike is properly setup it can run like that.
    I start my bike with just a push of the starter button and rarely touch the choke unless the temp us blow 40.

Doug

Unfortunately the previous owner doesn't know and his story is different each time I talked to him. He left me a dynojet kit looks like dj 195 is missing. I will assume that is installed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information