Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Ape-hangers?

14K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  JCuervoEspecial 
#1 ·
Looking to put apes on my 2002 1800C.

I hear I can go up to 10inches without changing any cables.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
I too would like some input on this. I have a 1300 that I'd like to put some shoulder heigth bars on.

#5 ·
That may be true for a 1300, but the 1800 has hydraulic clutch and brake lines that are only good for about 2 or maybe 3 inches over stock. I have R bars on my C and they stretch the lines to the limit. As for the throttle cables, they can be re-routed to get the extra length you need (to some extent at least).

#7 ·
16" looks like too much, and a few reasons I don't care for the bars angled forward of fork line.
Moderate 6" - 10". Hopefully 1 1/2 bars. I'd like that link.
All lines hidden. Fat Rubber up front.

The stock forks are nothing special actually. Their history when conversion is made.
If our roads were anything like the perfection in Europe, I'd keep the forks.
Can you imagine never hitting a spine splitting pot hole? There are none, period.

Several times cruising an average of 110 from Amsterdam to Frankfurt and some times in light rain, you get passed like your standing still. They are good at it. Rarely an issue.
The scary part is the darn big trees are so close to the road side. No Rails.
You can guess what happened to one rider.

#14 ·
i think the diameter is 1". it's the standard size apes. not the kong bars. kong bars are i think 2" in diameter. I didn't like them. they looked to fat for the bike. thanx for the props!

#17 ·
I put 5 inch arlen ness pull back risers on my 1800s and I had very little cable to work with I would bet that you will have to replace your cables and break lines to put ape hangers on your scoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.