Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

gas leak

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  sebago210 
#1 ·
I have a 1300 2007 model with a very strong gas smell especially after a short ride and and parked in the garage?
any ideas?

#2 ·
It's probably the exhaust fumes you're smelling. If it is just a short ride, the pipes won't get hot enough to vaporize the gas smell.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and you could have a serious problem, but just going by short ride and closed garage, I'm just assuming! that's what it is.

#3 ·
Fuel Tank maybe Too Full -
After Shut Down - the tank is now in bake mode for 4 hours.

I don't allow this any longer - I use blower near the front wheel - bathing the airflow into hot pipes and fins to feel flow on the other side -
as if the Scoot is rolling 30 knots sideways.

This heat / cooling process on it's own causes more water to vaporize out of fuel - then condense / settle to bottom of fuel -
then into float bowl.

#4 ·
This thread is in the wrong section. Just sayin'.

#6 ·
Some '06 and '07 1300's were recalled due to faulty petcock (fuel valve) assemblies...My bike was one of those affected...Two things to check...

1-Turn the handlebars full left so you can read the VIN# on the steering head...If there is a "dot" (.) at the end of the VIN, then the recall has been done...

2-If no "dot", than call your closest dealer with your VIN handy and have them check to see if your bike falls under the recall umbrella...Explain the problem also, as the recall was expanded a couple years ago to cover more bikes if I remember correctly...

The bad petcock was an EPA required recall as gasoline vapors were being allowed into the atmosphere...If you're smelling gas, that could be the issue...

#7 ·
Excellent recommendation Bass! I'll be checking my VIN for the punch-mark dot this weekend.
Thanks.

#8 ·
MY X has been punched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.