Synth oil

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Synth oil

Synth oil

Why all the the worry @ what mileage to start useing synthetic oil.Vettes,Cadys,Viper =stock oil.

??????? Why all the worry about what. And, start using synthethic after about 2000 miles.

jagarcia is offline Let's Get Ready To Rumble Utah Riders Group
    I think his question could be phrased: "OK to start using synth oil at any mileage?"

Your point about it being original equipment in some vehicles is well taken.

From what I've read, you can switch to synth at any time. I would do a reasonable ride-out of the dino oil and change it at a service interval (600, 4k, 8k) just for convenience and to save money. I don't think there is a problem with when you do it.

toasted_3111979 is offline Darksider
    Mississippi Riders Group
    Tennessee Riders Group

I haven't heard of anyone having a problem doing it at the 600 mile service...but I get the Honda oil at a discount and would still change it every 3500-4500 miles regardless if it was dino or syn...so the extra $$ of syn to me wasn't worth it.

i run shell rotella T. it is dirt cheap but isn't synthetic.

the benefits of synthetics are definitely there. my 16v 2.0L VW ran synthetic for nearly 300k miles and still had cross hatch left on the cylinder walls. the stuff is amazing.

if you're in the market for a synthetic just be aware that not all synthetics are truly synthetic! yep, that's right. just because the bottle says it is synthetic doesn't mean jack, just doubles the price in some cases.

amazing what companies get away with now a days! amsoil is pretty much the best synthetic for under $45 a quart. start there.

Amen to Amsoil. I've used it for years in my Deisel Ford F350 changed @ 25000 or 1 year (Changed filter @7500 add 1qt) never put that many miles so I change once a year. Truck has 300.000 still goin strong. I'm not sure what they recommend for motorcycle. But I plan on changing mine. go to amsoil.com
    Synthetic Motor Oils
    10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF)
    For those who demand the best. Advanced multi-functional formula. Fulfills the requirements of both domestic and foreign high performance motorcycles. Recommended for both liquid or air-cooled 4-stroke engines as well as all 2&4-stroke motorcycle transmissions requiring a 10W-40, GL-1lubricant. Wet clutch compatible meeting the latest JASO MA2 and ISO-L-EMA2 frictional requirements. Outstanding gear protection. Anti-rust fortified providing exceptional off-season protection. Recommended for Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Husqvarna and Victory motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by tchilds View Post
    i run shell rotella T. it is dirt cheap but isn't synthetic.

the benefits of synthetics are definitely there. my 16v 2.0L VW ran synthetic for nearly 300k miles and still had cross hatch left on the cylinder walls. the stuff is amazing.

if you're in the market for a synthetic just be aware that not all synthetics are truly synthetic! yep, that's right. just because the bottle says it is synthetic doesn't mean jack, just doubles the price in some cases.

amazing what companies get away with now a days! amsoil is pretty much the best synthetic for under $45 a quart. start there.
    You have got my couriousity stirring. I run 5W40 Shell Rotella which says full synthetic on the bottle. How does not know when they are lying on the label??

When I bought my X they hinted that synthetic oil was not too good for the bike. Is that all bull?

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by tchilds View Post
    amsoil is pretty much the best synthetic for under $45 a quart...
    $45 a quart!?!?!?!?!?!?...Seems a bit pricey to me....

Charlie D is online now Senior Member
    Washington State Riders Group
    Oregon Riders Group
    The wives tales that are passed on down the years from father to son are very hard to break.

40 years ago when the cylinders and rings were cast iron it was true but with todays machining and materials used it is no longer true.

Go into your dealer and point at the Honda blend oil and ask them why they sell it if it isn't good for the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by copen73 View Post
    When I bought my X they hinted that synthetic oil was not too good for the bike. Is that all bull?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information