Problem with Reckless fairing


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Problem with Reckless fairing

  1. #1
    trekpsycho's Avatar
    trekpsycho is offline Senior Member
    Louisiana Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield
    Age
    53
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Problem with Reckless fairing

    Anyone ever had a problem with the brackets breaking on their Reckless fairing? Both sides have broken in the same place as the one in the pictures. I only had the fairing for 9 months. I've sent the pics to Reckless to see if they will send me some brackets.




    I had to repair them with some aluminum plate:




    Other than that, I haven't had a problem and am vary happy with it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Diana, Texas
    Posts
    7,104
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been wondering about those brackets, and their durability since I first saw them. At least you're handy enough to fix them. Have you thought of making some out of steal?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Galion, Ohio
    Posts
    4,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job on the fix

  4. #4
    trekpsycho's Avatar
    trekpsycho is offline Senior Member
    Louisiana Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield
    Age
    53
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like
    The existing brackets are made from stainless steel I think. I patched it with aluminum cause I had some handy.

  5. #5
    trekpsycho's Avatar
    trekpsycho is offline Senior Member
    Louisiana Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield
    Age
    53
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoreVTX View Post
    Nice job on the fix
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    northwest oklahoma
    Posts
    4,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    had mine on for a ton of miles no issues, you had it under the headlight directly on top of the tree right?
    only way I could see the bracket stressing like that was if you bolted it on top of the headlight base.
    but then I have been wrong before lol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Diana, Texas
    Posts
    7,104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trekpsycho View Post
    The existing brackets are made from stainless steel I think. I patched it with aluminum cause I had some handy.
    Oh, I see.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Woodbridge
    Age
    50
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF Reckless doesnt come through with replacements, take it to a local welding shop and have them tig welded. Id also have a 14ga plate added for strength like the aluminum plate is now. If that is a stress area though, the hole for the rivets and the rivets themselves will fail as well. So kep an eye on that.

  9. #9
    trekpsycho's Avatar
    trekpsycho is offline Senior Member
    Louisiana Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield
    Age
    53
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopperhound1971 View Post
    had mine on for a ton of miles no issues, you had it under the headlight directly on top of the tree right?
    only way I could see the bracket stressing like that was if you bolted it on top of the headlight base.
    but then I have been wrong before lol
    Well that may be the problem then because I do have it on top. I'll try to change it around and see how that works.

  10. #10
    trekpsycho's Avatar
    trekpsycho is offline Senior Member
    Louisiana Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield
    Age
    53
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D-Dave View Post
    IF Reckless doesnt come through with replacements, take it to a local welding shop and have them tig welded. Id also have a 14ga plate added for strength like the aluminum plate is now. If that is a stress area though, the hole for the rivets and the rivets themselves will fail as well. So kep an eye on that.
    Yeah that was more or less a temporary repair. Hopefully they'll come through with some new ones. If not, I'll buy a new pair and replace them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. For Sale: Reckless Fairing
      By 3fan4life in forum 1800 Parts /Accessories For Sale
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 01-25-2014, 08:48 PM
    2. My Fairing Journey: Reckless fairing on 1800N
      By czechpleez in forum Honda VTX 1800 Forums
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 12-22-2013, 02:19 PM
    3. reckless fairing
      By B_Square in forum Honda VTX 1800 Forums
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
    4. My Reckless fairing
      By epiphysis in forum General VTX/Motorcycle Topics
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM
    5. Question Reckless Fairing
      By dlday60 in forum Honda VTX 1300 Forums
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 03-13-2011, 01:16 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •