Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Problem with Reckless fairing

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  3D-Dave 
#1 ·
Anyone ever had a problem with the brackets breaking on their Reckless fairing? Both sides have broken in the same place as the one in the pictures. I only had the fairing for 9 months. I've sent the pics to Reckless to see if they will send me some brackets.

I had to repair them with some aluminum plate:

Other than that, I haven't had a problem and am vary happy with it.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks

#4 ·
The existing brackets are made from stainless steel I think. I patched it with aluminum cause I had some handy.

#6 ·
had mine on for a ton of miles no issues, you had it under the headlight directly on top of the tree right?
only way I could see the bracket stressing like that was if you bolted it on top of the headlight base.
but then I have been wrong before lol

#9 ·
Well that may be the problem then because I do have it on top. I'll try to change it around and see how that works.

#8 ·
IF Reckless doesnt come through with replacements, take it to a local welding shop and have them tig welded. Id also have a 14ga plate added for strength like the aluminum plate is now. If that is a stress area though, the hole for the rivets and the rivets themselves will fail as well. So kep an eye on that.

#10 ·
Yeah that was more or less a temporary repair. Hopefully they'll come through with some new ones. If not, I'll buy a new pair and replace them.

#11 ·
I've had my Reckless since last fall. So far no issues. The brackets impressed me with the thickness of the stainless steel used and precision cuts.

#15 ·
Im gonna have access to a laser and several other toys in the next couple months. Ive been thinking about making brackets and such out of heavier gauge or higher tensile Stainless. I started thinking about that when I had my Memphis Shades on. I may have to spec out the Reckless bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.