Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Ideas for more power

18K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  sumdatx 
#1 ·
I am looking to spend 2-3 grand for more power on my 06 vtx 1800c. I got pipes and PCV on. Is there any shops in western canada that does head work and piston work. Ideas on what I can do internally within my 2-3 grand budget?

#2 ·
Just keep in mind one thing- the VTX is designed as a CRUISER. Low compression, tons of bottom torque, runs great on 87 octane. 130 mph top end, built-in rev limiter at around 5500 rpm. If you have a jones for speed, you may want to trade your VTX and use that extra couple grand for a Gix-er or a 'busa.

#3 ·
yep what pax said

#4 ·
head work.. major...
new fuel injection system or supplemental fuel system...
turbocharger system... major

and then there is the transmission, final drive...

3k will not even start .. to get what you want..

search the forum.. many threads about it... remember the "X" is 12 years old. and they started working on mods way back then...

like the others said.. replace the "x' with a racer type bike... not a cruiser

#5 ·
Cant imagine the 1800 needing or lacking power. Only going on what I have seen here, if you can keep the rear from spinning she should make your arms longer.

#7 ·
I'm not an expert on the 1800, but I'm pretty sure if you need more power from 110 cubic inches, you just give it some more throttle. The Honda 1800 engine was the largest displacement production V-Twin engine in the world when it was introduced and for some that just isn't enough.

#8 ·
Hey guys. Thanks for the advise so far. The x has got lots of bottom end power. I'm just looking for more power to keep up with other modded 109's and hd's. Looked into big bore but guys said that kit alone is t worth the coin. Looking into head work but I'm not even sure where to look or what to do. Any shops in western Canada that does head work?

#11 ·
You just need too punch it at the line and the 109's and modded hd's will be trying to keep up with you....."darkside it"!

#9 ·
add NOS cheapest way and more BANG for the buck, turbo kit is about 8 grand then you will need to pay extra for the engine work that needs to be done......... but if you go NOS just might want to get you a replacement engine...... that would be a total of around 3 grand....

#10 ·
Just remember that 4 inch piston aimed right at your family jewels. It wasn't meant to do what you seem to want it to.

#13 ·
If you have the Pocket Book - Go for it.

http://www.efrracing.com/hondaVTX1800Turbo.html

There are quite a few things a good Shop can do it all depends on what you want to spend - Of course reliability is in question but HEY Go for it!! So you need a new Universal, Drive shaft on occasion or tires or some engine work here and there, New Clutch - Been there - Done that on cars and lots of Clutches on my bikes.

It your Ride - Ride it the way you want!!!

NOS is by far the cheapest as there are alot of Kits out there that are universal - But you will need a shop that knows how to properly inject and tune it! IT is not for the Basic Mechanic.

#16 ·
there is one here in Kansas City the bike is bad ass but it is quiet and the guy had to do so much work to the engine, after he blew it up right after the turbo was installed.

#19 ·
You could try a Viper, 152 C.I. V-Twin engine. Currently the Viper/Ilmor 152 C.I. engine is available thru all Viper Motorcycle Co. Dealers for custom bike applications at the MSRP of $17,900.00 (excluding carburetor, plus taxes, shipping and dealer destination charges). A Roger Penske and Mario Illien owned company.

I know its alittle pricey.

#20 ·
A buddy of mine had his 1800 in the shop and was looking for more power. So he turned the shop loose on it and what the found was Honda's fuel injection intake is the biggest restriction on the motor. They made a new one for about a $1000 and free up some thing like 35 poneys and then added intros. I've rode the bike and all I have to say is my 1800 don't come close to touching it

#23 ·
Just search Turbo 1800 and you'll find several that have been done.

The clutch is the weak link, otherwise everything else seems up to the task. Turbos require much more finesse though, otherwise they'll lag down low and then hit too hard too fast, or they'll come on early with plenty of torque and then wither out on the top end as the exhaust chokes up at the turbine.

#24 ·
The M109 is an amazing bike, my buddy's in stock form runs away from the VTX 1800 but although it's marketed that way, it's not exactly a cruiser.

This is his faster bike; stretched Kawi 1400 with tons of work done. 220 hp at the wheel
As fast as I could get through the gears, I was in 3rd running hard about 80 mph and he blew by me in 1st!

There's always something out there that will kill you quicker.....

#27 ·
#28 ·
You will come across your neigh Sayers here. Some of them are only testing your resolve. Once you start a project like this there is no stopping or going back. The fact is that the X is so well made that there is little more you can do cheaply for noticeable gains. Especial if your looking to do it "Naturally Aspired". When you talk about working the heads or top end you are talking about spending more than 2-3k dollars. NOTE what I tell you now, I take NO responsibility for the outcome. But if you insist on starting you may want to begin with a stand alone fuel system. you can find them for around 3-4 hundred dollars at " http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/microsquirt-c-35.html ". I will tell you what I have leaned from Phreakish in a similar post that I have recently made. A project like this is huge and bigger than any one person. It will take a lot of collaboration and communication to get it right. After the stand alone fuel system is when it starts getting expensive. here let me just give you the link to one of my posts and you can read for your self. Remember, this is bigger than $4k.... " http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/184290-Cams-and-Rocker-Arms " and " http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/184290-Cams-and-Rocker-Arms ". I hope this helps put things in perspective. If this isn't what your looking for. Then I recommend a Super Charger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.