LED Headlight install - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Headlight install

Post Thanks / Like
    The pics are really illuminating...shows a great difference between stock and what you've done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of illumination.

I rode from the grand canyon on saturday night. From dark (well beyond sundown) 267 miles back to Vegas.

I passed probably 40 cars head-on. Didn't get flashed once. The spread on the road is very good. I can see further ahead than the stocker by 3-5 yards. Light is whiter and more intense. The real benefit is that it lights up the shoulders (Both) very nicely. I can see much farther down the shoulder of the road than before, and the vertical spill isn't enough to blind drivers. I could see where the light is cut-off as they passed, or as I passed vehicles on the road. There's only one spot on either side, about 5-10 ft in front of the bike that seems to throw light higher than normal but it didn't seem to bother anyone I passed or who passed me. Rather, compared to other vehicle lights on the road, it was about the same as many late-model cars (judging as they passed semi trailers).

Throw is also better. Road signs and reflectors seem to light-up to infinity...

That said, it's not a huge improvement. An improvement, but if you're after good light and only good light I would say a lightbar with decent spots would give a better improvement than simply adding the LED headlight. I do plan to add some, but mostly only to act as backup should my headlight fail and to increase my visibility (to others) on the highway. I plan to use LED lights here as well, but won't rely on them for significant visible light at night.

LJTARMY is offline Senior Member Mississippi Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great original right up, and for the follow up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    All things considered, I think I'm going to get this. An upgrade to my Silverstar H4 w/o breaking the bank, and basically a P & P. Great job, phreakish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaXman11 View Post
    All things considered, I think I'm going to get this. An upgrade to my Silverstar H4 w/o breaking the bank, and basically a P & P. Great job, phreakish.
    talk about plug and play, youve got no idea!!!

i ordered mine and it got here saturday, installed it yesterday, it seriously took me all of five minutes to install.

after having installed a couple HID kits for friends i was expecting to run a line direct to battery and preemptively took off my tank, seat, side covers, and fairing to be able to easily route the cabling before opening the kit up. I WASTED MY TIME!!

the installation is as easy as opening the headlight bucket, pulling out the old bulb, putting in the new bulb, plugging in the ballast between the new bulb and the stock headlight plug, and screwing the heatsink fan to the back of the new bulb. everything is small enough to easily fit in the bucket without any modifications!

best 80 bucks i ever spent as far as im concerned, and ive got a second bulb to do my brothers 1300r next weekend when he comes over.

Volvo Guy is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! We should get something worked out where 2 people on here can split the cost of one kit and one person can send the other the bulb...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested in doing a share with someone. I could use a little more light on my 1800.

mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreakish View Post
    ...LED light (did not change with engine on/off):
    Great post! Thank you! I'm more interested in it for the coverage since I don't have a stereo to save power for... and from this, it looks like a much more uniform distribution than the filament bulb - it must really fill the reflector surface with light, taking better advantage of its design to reflect the light forward. You'd be a Cafe hero if you could find a place to park next to a dark side of a building with roof access, point the bike away from the wall, and get up there to snap a nighttime shot of the light coverage... I'm not asking you to do this... just sayin'! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Before DST I might have done that from the roof of my building at work. I don't feel like staying that late now though! LOL.

The beam is softer around the edges, but brighter everywhere. The softness is due to the lack of reflectors around the emitters and a defocus caused by emitter location. It's not detrimental to oncoming traffic as far as I can tell though.

mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreakish View Post
    Before DST I might have done that from the roof of my building at work. I don't feel like staying that late now though! LOL.

The beam is softer around the edges, but brighter everywhere. The softness is due to the lack of reflectors around the emitters and a defocus caused by emitter location. It's not detrimental to oncoming traffic as far as I can tell'though.
    Yeah, I would expect the LED to be even easier on the oncoming traffic due to its uniformity, even though it is brighter... that streak on the wall in the bulb pics is a blurred image of the filament - the light emisson surface of the LED is huge compared to that of the filament, hence the uniformity... as a developer of precision light machines, our 'stock headlight illumination' drives me nuts... it sux... I'm so glad this option exists. I've sat at Thomas Edison's desk and pondered when the day would come that his invention would be replaced by solid-state devices, and that era is now upon us. But ol' Tom had a 100+ year run... pretty impressive!

12. ThanksPrototype427 thanked for this post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information