Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Bike won't start

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bosshog 
#1 ·
How can I test the Starter Switch and the Starter Relay to isolate my problem. Bike will not start. Bike is in neutral, kill switch ok. Nothing happens when the starter button is pressed. The headlight is not on, all other lights work. Battery is charged. Need to isolate so I can replace defective part so I can ride. Is there somewhere that a wiring digram can be downloaded.

#2 ·
Hi, I'm ramjet,
You can test your relay by applying 12v to the terminal from the starter switch and ground to the terminal that feeds the clutch, neutral, and sidestand switches. When the solenoid plunger moves you'll hear it. While it is in the extended position, use a VOM and see if you have continuity across the terminals from the ignition switch and the starter motor on the solenoid itself. Do not have power on these terminals or your VOM fuses will blow.

If the solenoid or relay works you have a faulty ignition switch, starter switch, engine stop switch, neutral switch, clutch switch, or sidestand switch. You'll have to bypass each one until the starter works. Start with the easiest one first. Good luck!

ramjet

#3 ·
I had the same problem with my 2006 1800S. I went for a ride, stopped for a bit and then went to continue the ride. When I tried to start the bike - nothing. It was one of the loudest quiet sounds I ever heard. Anyway, turns out the starter switch was bad. The dealer replaced it under warranty and have had no problems since. I had about 8,000 miles or so on the bike at the time.

G26

#5 ·
Your problem is definately the starter switch. It is made out of plastic and it will melt if it gets hot. That's what happens. Either too much amps going to the lights or a bad contact where the power for the head/tail lights goes through the starter and heating it up internally. Melts, and no more working. I just spent an evening figuring that out with my 1300. I put a couple of running lights on it and then had to put a 15 amp fuse in because it blew the 10 amp stock fuse. Now it has melted the starter switch. Just ordered a new one. Guess I need to put in a relay or something. CycleSam

#6 ·
First check the connections on your battery I know you said all the lights are on but the headlight but start out simple. Check all your fuses if they are good, check your kickstand to make sure that safety switch is not stuck. You say you are in neutral is tha neutral light on? You said your headlight is not on. Your headlight should be on that is why I said check your fuses. With the ignition on you should have power to the starter switch if you have a test light open up your switch assembly should be able to test your wires ground the test light to the bike and touch each wire with the test light will light if power going to that wire. Then turn off the ignition take an ohm meter or a self powered test light and check for continuity when the switch is open and then when closed (when you push it) if you have continuity then may not be the switch. Is hard to diagnois without being there. Let us know how it goes.

#7 ·
Cyclesam as far as yours you cannot put in a bigger fuse because you will melt your wiring. You have to put in a seperate fuse for your lights they are pulling too many amps and can melt your wiring for your stator have seen that at the shop with an older Goldwing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.