Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Northern Indiana spring ride....

15K views 130 replies 23 participants last post by  terrehautevtx 
#1 ·
Saturday, May 24th (Saturday of Memorial Day weekend)....Meet here at the house in the morning and leave about noon or so, then ride into town around the lakes and head out to Kersting's motorcycle museum...

http://www.kerstingscycle.com/muse.html

I sent an email to them to make positive sure the museum will be open that day, just waiting on reply....I honestly don't see why they wouldn't be open, as that's a big weekend with lots of folks out riding...

From there we'll head out and ride around Bass (the fish NOT the guitar...lol) Lake, then stop somewhere to get something to eat...Haven't picked out a place for that as of yet though...One restaurant out there at Bass Lake is kinda uppity, though Jen and I did stop there one time a few years back and wasn't treated badly, just we felt kinda out of place...So still researching that...Quaker Steak & Lube in Portage is an option, but it's a bit of a haul from Kersting's to there, then back to Rolling Prairie area...And with Ray and his brother Scott having back issues, don't want to make it out of reach for those guys...

Here to Kersting's is about an 1.5 hour the route I have planned, then around Bass Lake add another hour or so (heavily populated and slow speed limit), then from there about an hour-15 minute to QS&L if we go there, then another hour from the restaurant back here to home...

This will be rain or shine, unless there's ridiculous storms/tornado's, crap like that...My normal job schedule has me leaving out on Sunday mornings, but with the 3 day weekend, the customers I stop at on Monday's will not be open...So this date is not flexible, it is what it is...

Here's the address to the house here for those that haven't been here before...

6519 E. US Hwy 20
Rolling Prairie, IN. 46371

See less See more
#5 ·
Got an email back from Kersting's yesterday....

The Museum will be open May 24th and we look forward to seeing your group ride in.

Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:53 PM
To: sandy@kerstingscycle.com
Subject: museum...

Hello...I'm in the planning stages for a group ride on Saturday May 24th out of the Laporte/New Carlisle area...Just want to be sure the museum will be open that day ahead of time before making the plans final...

Thanks, Bill Vance

So with that info, that part of the day is set in stone...Also yesterday in the semi, I thought of a different place to go grab something to eat...Those that were here last spring for the tech session, and stayed til the end, will remember the place in Michigan we stopped at and sat upstairs on the deck...Great food at a good price, biker friendly, and some good riding (for this area anyways) to and from there...I even have the ride route all planned out...As that date gets closer, I'll head out on my day off and ride it myself to make sure there's no surprises (like road construction for example), and time it...May leave out earlier than noon, depends on riding time...

Also, anybody considering it from out of the area, there are motels in Laporte (10 miles away), and the backyard is plenty big enough for some tents...

Also planning on getting some firewood and lighting a fire in the backyard like we always did after the tech sessions, and folks can sit and hang out...

#26 ·
Hell yeah, either way is fine...Plenty of room for the camper here if you wanna do that and save $$...After we get back we'll light a fire out back if it's not raining and sit out and kill off some beers....If it's raining, that party moves to the garage...lol..

#27 ·
I really need to consider a trailer hitch on the X! Wish my wife could make it too, may have to see if she can take off, dought it but a man can hope. Funny had a friend of the family and neighbor for years named Bill Vance here, lifes funny!

#28 ·
Had some lady contact me on Facebook 3-4 weeks ago....Recognized my name and started asking questions...Was a different high school on the north side of town, upcoming class reunion, etc..Said he married a gal named Sharon (my mom's name)...So yeah, she thought I was my dad...Apparently the fact that I don't look like I'm in my late 60's never crossed her mind...lol...

#29 ·
Well I took friday off to come over and had my wife take off to come with me so now I guess I'll be hitting a hotel, she's high maintenance and starts to stink if she doesn't bathe!:swoon:(just kidding about the high maintenance)

#32 ·
Looking forward to having a fun time with all of you and putting this crappy weather behind us!

#35 ·
Well shit! Was riding home from Kahos Angel's house tonight thinking about everything going on in May including Beriah's Ohio tech session May 31st and realized that my sons(2 of them) graduation was that weekend. Got home and checked. NOPE! Saturday May 24th. Sorry guys. Maybe next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.