Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Engine knock after warmed up

10K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Philscbx 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 VTX 1300C. 4000 Miles. Starts sounds great rides awesome but after it warms up it develop a faint deep knocking that is consistent with wrist pin/piston slap. It has not progressed says consistent. It sure doesn't sound like valve train noise. I don't see any metal in the oil filter or oil. Let it cool off and it sounds normal. Start it up ride it a couple mile and starts that knocking. Under power it goes away. HELP !!! Thank YOU....
:gah:

#3 ·
UpGrade the Oil - 20/50.
Always state what's being used currently.

It will protect the critical very expensive crank/rods from further damage -

Schedule or do it yourself - Have the oil pressure checked at the oil pressure port when warmed up.
Oil pressure is direct reading of the crank / rod bearings condition - nothing else is.

Include any incident of overheating - etc.

If you need a Service manual - see the link below in Sig for your Scoot.

Best of Luck

#11 ·
Also keep in mind the 1300 has a very noisy engine. Some people say it sounds like a bag of rocks but I solved that issue by getting side burners...lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
I HEAR IT WHEN IM ON THE GAS ,
NOT CRUISING -HOT WEATHER ??
Upgrade the oil for that temp for one -
Down Shift vs lazy rolling on throttle to move.

Now Report.

Miles & Year -
What's in it for oil - The Grade -
Speeds & Gear -

Check cooling system at the radiator cap - under tank.
Never the side tank.

Just those simple items will Make a Night & Day Difference.

Applying throttle - and it doesn't pull elbows straight in each gear -
Do the same in the car - notice how it also down shifts.

#17 ·
I'm experiencing a similar knocking, like a piston slap as described. I have an '05 1300C using Mobile 1 20/50 full syn oil. The bike has 4600 miles on it. It's a recent acquisition and I verified mileage through DMV inspection records. The knocking sound occurs after the bike is warmed up. Standing at idle, rev the engine, and as the rpms come down, the knocking occurs. I too think of bearing knock when I hear it, but it does not occur under a load in my case and I do not hear it at all when riding, just when I'm stopped at a light and if I rev the engine a little. The knocking is felt in the foot pegs. Whether the clutch is pulled in, or the bike is in neutral with the clutch out, same knocking sound/vibration. Only occurs after the bike is warmed up, not when cold. As suggested earlier, I will investigate getting the oil pressure checked. The comment about a bag of rocks sounds accurate. Perhaps this is normal for this bike.

#18 ·
The comment about a bag of rocks sounds accurate. Perhaps this is normal for this bike.
nikl, I don't think that sounding like a bag of rocks is normal for the 1300. Mine certainly doesn't sound like one.

#22 ·
Mine too!

Hi Guys. I'm new to VTX Cafe and been scouring forums to see if anyone has been having the same issue. i.e. engine knocking from the crank case after warmed up and idling and in my case particularly noticeable when propped on the side stand. I had the oil changed and the filter cut open......no bits of bareings.....phew! I was wondering how you guys (woodnikl and
walleye) went changing to fully synthetic oil?

#23 ·
wondering how you guys (woodnikl and
walleye) went changing to fully synthetic oil?
Guessing or Using the wrong grade in Big Twins -
Good luck.
Ask Harley Techs for the minimum grade used.
Honda's Service manual for what to use is always misinterpreted -
Honda states min to use is 10/40 - then it's guessed that means the max - when it's the lowest grade allowed.

Otherwise they'd print use 5w grades that everyone has on their garage shelf for their cars.
When their cars have 1/2 the stroke torque of these Scoots.

In your case - better get oil pressure gauge on it yesterday.
Pressure reading is 100% between oil pump and all main/rod bearings and nothing else.

It's direct reading what condition & shape they are in when the oil is 200F.
Cold oil pressure means little until the high temp end is known first.
Then when cold reading is noted - then 80PSI is right.

You can bet if 10PSI is seen cold - then Hot is Zero. Engine is Junk/Noisy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.