Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Front Brakes VTX 1300 Retro

Tags
1300 brake pads
6K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Harry 
#1 ·
I have the pads. But when I go and look at the VTX forum showing how to replace front brakes, the link to the exploded view does not work.
Anyone have the instructions on how to take hte pads out and put new ones in?
I got over 15,000 miles on the ones on the bike and I know I need new ones.

Thanks, Ray

#5 ·
Hey guy, thanks

Only problem is the first one with the 3 graphics was very hard to read.
I mean to the point of not being able to read.
I just need the front brake if you can make that larger and darker I would appreciate it.

By the way I see your a traveling man. I am awaiting my initiation and then will start my catechism. Also noticed your in SC. I bought a home in Myrtle Beach and will retire in 3 years to that house.

later,

Ray

#6 ·
Just came in from the garage

So does PoolMaster mean swimming or billiards. Interesting.
Anyway, I dont see in the instructions where it says to loosen and pivot.
It appears you have to slide the pads out and slide new ones in up against a spring of sorts. Really hard to see.
Confused about the Pad pin and pad pin plug.
I dont see the pad pin but I do see the plug.
Do you use a large screw driver with the pad plug?
Have you dont this before. I know once I have done it it will be easier next time. I dont want to take the pads out unless I feel I can get the new ones in.
It also talks about depressing piston before you start. All I can figure is they want you to use a screw driver or something to push the piston back while the old pads are still in.
I believe you said have c clamp. Why? I never see where you can pivot the caliper to depress the piston? Bumper is in the way even if you could.

Sorry for all the questions.

Ray

#10 ·
So does PoolMaster mean swimming or billiards. Interesting.
Anyway, I dont see in the instructions where it says to loosen and pivot.
It appears you have to slide the pads out and slide new ones in up against a spring of sorts. Really hard to see.
Confused about the Pad pin and pad pin plug.
I dont see the pad pin but I do see the plug.
Do you use a large screw driver with the pad plug?
Have you dont this before. I know once I have done it it will be easier next time. I dont want to take the pads out unless I feel I can get the new ones in.
It also talks about depressing piston before you start. All I can figure is they want you to use a screw driver or something to push the piston back while the old pads are still in.
I believe you said have c clamp. Why? I never see where you can pivot the caliper to depress the piston? Bumper is in the way even if you could.

Sorry for all the questions.

Ray

You remove the plug then you use an allen wrench to take out the pin.

it took me all of 15 minutes and I took caliper off leaving the brake line attached so I would not need to bleed them.

use some brake clean to get rid of the grime and the pistons will push back by some finger preasure or a small block of wood to pry them,
pads line up in slots then pushed up in place and pin put in make sure you clean the pin and use a very small amount of high temp greese on it.

mount back on the fork with some blue locktight on the bolts then tighten the pad pin and install the plug.

you will have to pump the brake several times to relocate the pistons you pushed back then you are ready to go.

#8 ·
Pool as in billiards. Good luck on your journey.

Like I said, pm me your email address and I will send you that page out of the service manual. As for your questions, I don't know. I've never changed the pads on my X.

#13 ·
Hey Poolmaster; how is Masonic Membership in your neck of the woods? Membership in this area has dropped off over the years. I was a Master of our Lodge in '92 (also belong to Scottish Rite & Shriners). I had a great uncle who had the Honorary 33rd degree. But, now I don't attend often enough. BTW Spotor, if you have not already done your front brakes, I think there is a link on the tech section of the www.vtxoa.com website with visuals. Your brakes may not need changing. Mine have about 21,000 and still plenty of pad. Changed the back ones last month. I use the back brakes more than I should.

Pool as in billiards. Good luck on your journey.

Like I said, pm me your email address and I will send you that page out of the service manual. As for your questions, I don't know. I've never changed the pads on my X.

#9 ·
Hello

Not sure about PMing. I went to your profile and sent you a note.

Well your 29 and I am 52 so I have been around. Like I said just getting to be a Mason. And as for billiards would be cool to shoot.
I used to be a level 9. Got my own table and used to be on leagues.

Well maybe you can PM me so I can see how it works? I should have a profile here.

Thanks again,

Ray

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
:hmm2:hmmmm...hey bassdude...is that from personal experience?...lol......
Kinda....Done more brake jobs on cars than I could even consider counting....No brakes until you pump the system up to position pads up to the rotors....Same thing with a bike....Nothing scarier than grabbing the brakes to find it bottom out, and you're still rolling at the same speed!!!!...

#14 ·
Hampton, I had the rears done by dealer since they sold me the wrong ones but that was around 13,000 miles. Front ones feel like they need changing so I bought new ones. I have to go to dealer cause they now sold me the wrong bulb for my cobra light bar maybe they can spot check the pads and tell me if they need changing.
However the link you refer to when I click on it it takes me to a location that is for purchasing bike parts.

#15 ·
After you click on the link, next click on message boards, then click on the VTX 1300 board, then click on the garage and tips section. I think you will find it there. Also, you should be able to just look at the pads and see how much are left.

Hampton, I had the rears done by dealer since they sold me the wrong ones but that was around 13,000 miles. Front ones feel like they need changing so I bought new ones. I have to go to dealer cause they now sold me the wrong bulb for my cobra light bar maybe they can spot check the pads and tell me if they need changing.
However the link you refer to when I click on it it takes me to a location that is for purchasing bike parts.

#16 ·
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp

yes the link takes you to another link that you needed to click on and that was the OEM parts catalog, I just posted it above.

fill in the info and then you can get to the micro of the brakes

#18 ·
to spotor1
be carefull whenn you are removing the front pads - when i did mine last we, the padspring and that other little thing at the rear fell out - its a bitch to get back in.

the previous owner did his 4700 miles in the city only and was more on the prakes, than on the gas. pads were allmost gone. changed them with EBC HH FRONT + rear Brake Pads. they are a bit expensive, but very good. sold at ebay for $30 each.
ride safe
harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.