HID headlights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID headlights?

Post Thanks / Like

HID headlights?

hi i am new here, i tried a search but not luck, has anyone tried to convert the headlight to HID? i was considering the Victory Hammer because i saw one that already had it.
    all my cars have HID lighting and i just wondered if anyone has managed to swap out the guts of the stock headlight for somthing better..

SHiVMan is offline Archive Digger
    Oklahoma Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure it has been done, and probably isnt that hard. I'd keep searching until you found the write-up. You'd need relays though for sure.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
    hi i am new here, i tried a search but not luck, has anyone tried to convert the headlight to HID? i was considering the Victory Hammer because i saw one that already had it.
    all my cars have HID lighting and i just wondered if anyone has managed to swap out the guts of the stock headlight for somthing better..
    Run a search under the user name Ioshen. He has done this. Not cheap though.

kkelly3755 is offline Senior Member
    Michigan Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I changed out the standard halogen bulb for a HID blue bulb. Cost me under $20 and works beautiful! You need to find a H4 bulb, they have either the blue or the bright white HID and either will work just fine. I could not believe the difference is brightness when I ride at night now!
    Totally worth it and wasn't that much money! Took about 5 min to swap the bulb out too, just a couple screws and off you go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kkelly3755 View Post
    I changed out the standard halogen bulb for a HID blue bulb. Cost me under $20 and works beautiful! You need to find a H4 bulb, they have either the blue or the bright white HID and either will work just fine. I could not believe the difference is brightness when I ride at night now!
    Totally worth it and wasn't that much money! Took about 5 min to swap the bulb out too, just a couple screws and off you go!
    It was my understanding from Ioshen's writeup that the HID lights(systems) required a transformer of some sort. Maybe there is somethingelse available now. He did this over a year ago I believe.

Michigan Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    It was my understanding from Ioshen's writeup that the HID lights(systems) required a transformer of some sort. Maybe there is somethingelse available now. He did this over a year ago I believe.

My fault!! I did change the bulb to a bright blue bulb, not the HID!!
    It did make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of light, and was considerably cheaper than HID, but to each his own! There was even a brighter bulb called the Super Bright White available for about $30 that would just connect to the bike without any add ons needed. But I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make just going with this one. Now I'm so happy I doubt I will be changing it anytime soon!

Here is a link explaining the differences in headlights, I didn't spend that much on a bulb because just a standard H4 bulb for a car is perfect!!

http://www.bikerhiway.com/h4-110100w...ulb-p-320.html

Sorry for the error, I hate it when I do that!

Post Thanks / Like
    No prob KK, thought maybe I had missed something!

jagarcia is offline Let's Get Ready To Rumble
    Utah Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    The HID systems run into the hundreds of dollars.

For my situation I did this: PIAA bulbs, very bright, same wattage as stock. Then I added the Hondaline light bar. Lots more light; I run with it on all of the time. At night people ahead of me think they're getting pulled-over. The PIAAs were $70 for two bulbs, and the Honda light bar was about $250. Cheaper than the HID systems, no fancy wiring, and no getting pulled-over for the lights that burn out retinas.

Still, the HIDs are something to see (pun intended).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kkelly3755 View Post

My fault!! I did change the bulb to a bright blue bulb, not the HID!!
    It did make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of light, and was considerably cheaper than HID, but to each his own! There was even a brighter bulb called the Super Bright White available for about $30 that would just connect to the bike without any add ons needed. But I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make just going with this one. Now I'm so happy I doubt I will be changing it anytime soon!

Here is a link explaining the differences in headlights, I didn't spend that much on a bulb because just a standard H4 bulb for a car is perfect!!

http://www.bikerhiway.com/h4-110100w...ulb-p-320.html

Sorry for the error, I hate it when I do that!

So a person does not need an "anti-vibration" bulb as posted in the link?

Michigan Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post
    So a person does not need an "anti-vibration" bulb as posted in the link?
    I just bought a regular bulb at Autozone and it works beautiful! I wouldn't bother with the anti-vibration bulb!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information