HID headlights?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: HID headlights?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    colorado springs
    Posts
    27

    HID headlights?

    hi i am new here, i tried a search but not luck, has anyone tried to convert the headlight to HID? i was considering the Victory Hammer because i saw one that already had it.
    all my cars have HID lighting and i just wondered if anyone has managed to swap out the guts of the stock headlight for somthing better..

  2. #2
    SHiVMan's Avatar
    SHiVMan is offline Archive Digger Oklahoma Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Collinsville
    Posts
    674
    I am sure it has been done, and probably isnt that hard. I'd keep searching until you found the write-up. You'd need relays though for sure.

  3. #3
    Goldsmith's Avatar
    Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,858
    Quote Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
    hi i am new here, i tried a search but not luck, has anyone tried to convert the headlight to HID? i was considering the Victory Hammer because i saw one that already had it.
    all my cars have HID lighting and i just wondered if anyone has managed to swap out the guts of the stock headlight for somthing better..
    Run a search under the user name Ioshen. He has done this. Not cheap though.

  4. #4
    kkelly3755's Avatar
    kkelly3755 is offline Senior Member
    Michigan Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jeddo
    Age
    41
    Posts
    415

    Thumbs up

    I changed out the standard halogen bulb for a HID blue bulb. Cost me under $20 and works beautiful! You need to find a H4 bulb, they have either the blue or the bright white HID and either will work just fine. I could not believe the difference is brightness when I ride at night now!
    Totally worth it and wasn't that much money! Took about 5 min to swap the bulb out too, just a couple screws and off you go!

  5. #5
    Goldsmith's Avatar
    Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,858
    Quote Originally Posted by kkelly3755 View Post
    I changed out the standard halogen bulb for a HID blue bulb. Cost me under $20 and works beautiful! You need to find a H4 bulb, they have either the blue or the bright white HID and either will work just fine. I could not believe the difference is brightness when I ride at night now!
    Totally worth it and wasn't that much money! Took about 5 min to swap the bulb out too, just a couple screws and off you go!
    It was my understanding from Ioshen's writeup that the HID lights(systems) required a transformer of some sort. Maybe there is somethingelse available now. He did this over a year ago I believe.

  6. #6
    kkelly3755's Avatar
    kkelly3755 is offline Senior Member
    Michigan Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jeddo
    Age
    41
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    It was my understanding from Ioshen's writeup that the HID lights(systems) required a transformer of some sort. Maybe there is somethingelse available now. He did this over a year ago I believe.

    My fault!! I did change the bulb to a bright blue bulb, not the HID!!
    It did make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of light, and was considerably cheaper than HID, but to each his own! There was even a brighter bulb called the Super Bright White available for about $30 that would just connect to the bike without any add ons needed. But I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make just going with this one. Now I'm so happy I doubt I will be changing it anytime soon!

    Here is a link explaining the differences in headlights, I didn't spend that much on a bulb because just a standard H4 bulb for a car is perfect!!

    http://www.bikerhiway.com/h4-110100w...ulb-p-320.html

    Sorry for the error, I hate it when I do that!

  7. #7
    Goldsmith's Avatar
    Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,858
    No prob KK, thought maybe I had missed something!

  8. #8
    jagarcia's Avatar
    jagarcia is offline Let's Get Ready To Rumble Utah Riders Group
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasatch Front, Rocky Mountains
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,240
    The HID systems run into the hundreds of dollars.

    For my situation I did this: PIAA bulbs, very bright, same wattage as stock. Then I added the Hondaline light bar. Lots more light; I run with it on all of the time. At night people ahead of me think they're getting pulled-over. The PIAAs were $70 for two bulbs, and the Honda light bar was about $250. Cheaper than the HID systems, no fancy wiring, and no getting pulled-over for the lights that burn out retinas.

    Still, the HIDs are something to see (pun intended).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kkelly3755 View Post

    My fault!! I did change the bulb to a bright blue bulb, not the HID!!
    It did make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of light, and was considerably cheaper than HID, but to each his own! There was even a brighter bulb called the Super Bright White available for about $30 that would just connect to the bike without any add ons needed. But I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make just going with this one. Now I'm so happy I doubt I will be changing it anytime soon!

    Here is a link explaining the differences in headlights, I didn't spend that much on a bulb because just a standard H4 bulb for a car is perfect!!

    http://www.bikerhiway.com/h4-110100w...ulb-p-320.html

    Sorry for the error, I hate it when I do that!

    So a person does not need an "anti-vibration" bulb as posted in the link?

  10. #10
    kkelly3755's Avatar
    kkelly3755 is offline Senior Member
    Michigan Riders Group
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jeddo
    Age
    41
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post
    So a person does not need an "anti-vibration" bulb as posted in the link?
    I just bought a regular bulb at Autozone and it works beautiful! I wouldn't bother with the anti-vibration bulb!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Headlights at night
    By 911Radioman in forum Honda VTX 1300 Forums
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
  2. Headlights
    By Frank Carroll in forum Honda VTX 1800 Forums
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-17-2006, 12:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •