Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Stock vs. Factory Pro Needle

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  HN64 
#1 ·
Recently did some carb work using the Factory Pro Stage 3 kit, and got great advice from others on the Cafe. One topic that many people commented about was the difference between the stock and FP needle. Took this picture (hope resolution is OK) to show others the visual difference in the taper of each needle. Stock needle on the left, FP on the right. Note the notches in the FP needle, using the supplied clips you can adjust the height. Clip position #1 on the FP needle is the top one, working all the way down to a 5. The lower the clip, the higher the needle position. Hope this gives a good visual aid to others who will be swapping their needle in the future.
Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
Recently did some carb work using the Factory Pro Stage 3 kit, and got great advice from others on the Cafe. One topic that many people commented about was the difference between the stock and FP needle. Took this picture (hope resolution is OK) to show others the visual difference in the taper of each needle. Stock needle on the left, FP on the right. Note the notches in the FP needle, using the supplied clips you can adjust the height. Clip position #1 on the FP needle is the top one, working all the way down to a 5. The lower the clip, the higher the needle position. Hope this gives a good visual aid to others who will be swapping their needle in the future.
View attachment 98393
That is awesome - thanks so much for doing that, HN64! I am the one who wanted to align the needles and do a point-by-point taper comparo, and forget to snap the pic while I had them both on the table. I can separate them digitally, align, and measure with what you have given. However, if you do have a higher resolution, like the original pic in the camera, then I would like to use the best you have so that I can zoom. I will PM you my e-mail address, so that you can send me the original .tif or .jpg

Thanks!

'laser :patriot:

#4 ·
Adding washers to the stock needle will work but after 2 shims you'll start having issues with the needle overiding the slow circuit and over richness while accelerating at partial throttle

Sent from stone tablet and chisel

#7 ·
HN 64
You have the same 08/09 needle I did. The F/P needle taper is more like the 03/07. I bought an 07 needle and for my bike it runs best with the 07 and .040 shim. Also the 08/09 slide valve has a smaller bleed hole. I am running the 07 valve also it seems to run better. Be careful tuning is addictive. LOL.

IB

#8 ·
IB, I have put a couple hundred miles on the bike since my mods, and the bike is running great. At higher engine speeds (especially 5th gear over 70 mph) it feels like a little fine tweaking may be necessary. In reviewing comments on the Cafe I re-read your post and was wondering what you mean by the "slide valve". Is this the needle jet holder into which the main jet is screwed? Curious if you have any photos of the difference between the 08/09 you originally had and the 07 you are currently running. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.