Help w/ decel pop, unburned fuel smell and flamethrower exhaust!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ decel pop, unburned fuel smell and flamethrower exhaust!

Help w/ decel pop, unburned fuel smell and flamethrower exhaust!

I have an 05 VTX 1300c with HK strippers on it and about 10100 mles on it. As far as I know it was rejetted by the previous owner. It has ran great until a few weeks ago. A riding buddy said I must be running rich as he smells unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust. I also get a small amount of decel pop here and there. It has been raining here in RI for the past 4 days and I haven't been on it in almost a week. I went to start it up today and had to choke it to keep running (although the outside temp was 82 today). Then after about 15-20 seconds of running in choke, I saw a small orange flame come from 1 of the pipes. Weird! Then it ran fine. Other symtoms include : Black exhaust usually on startup
    Spark plugs have dark brown to black color
    Decel pop here and there
    Smell of raw fuel
    when choked, it also runs rough. kind of sputters and pops
    Any clues?

I had a similar problem with my bike about a month ago....No flame but alot of popping an decel . Found the problem was a nearly plugged pilot jet from bad fuel . Not sure if thats your problem but its pretty easy to pop the tank off and drop the bowl to clean the jets out . Also check the air fuel screw sounds like your running rich and could use a quick adjustment , try tightening it a 1/4 turn and see if it makes it better .

whiskeyrockr is offline shock factor unrated
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    also, the choke could be getting hung. sea foam carb cleaner is pretty good to run through your tank to help clean the carb. i'm sure some others will chime in with more ideas and things to check. good luck bro

thanks for the great advice so far guys. After reading up, I'm going to the stealer to get some new spark plugs and change the oil. I also have to check the choke position. Thanks again for the advice. I will keep you posted as to how things are going.

thundrhd is offline Dragon Slayer
    Missouri Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Do yourself a favor and stop using choke(fuel enrichener), and you will save the plugs. Be sure to check the "choke" cable, sometimes it may not go back in completely, causing a rich carb.

beitz67 is offline C'MON THE HOOPS
    Illinois Riders Group
    Skip the stealer for the plugs. You'll find them cheaper at the same auto store you get Seafoam at. You can go with the stock NGKs or use another like the champion RA8HC plugs I and some others are using. Around $2 ea, and no problems that I've come across.

For more economical, good quality parts just search the forums here for plugs, oil, filters, etc... you'll find all you ever wanted to know, and save a good deal of cash.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find plugs or the oil filter at any auto parts store here in RI. But what a difference an oil change and new plugs can do. The heavy gas smell was reduced to what I was told "a huge difference". The decel pop was also reduced. A Harley expert noticed I was running a but rich and advised me to go down a size on the high end jet. I was thinking of going with a K&N filter instead of rejetting. I figured the extra air would lean it out. Does it make sense?

Missouri Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    K & N won't give any more air if you're running stock air box. The best way to "lean" out a bit is to adjust the A/F screw. Look in the stickies for carb adjustments, you won't have to open up carb, just adjust the air/fuel. Do yourself anothefavor, leave stock pilot & jet as is for now.

Quote Originally Posted by thundrhd View Post
    K & N won't give any more air if you're running stock air box. The best way to "lean" out a bit is to adjust the A/F screw. Look in the stickies for carb adjustments, you won't have to open up carb, just adjust the air/fuel. Do yourself anothefavor, leave stock pilot & jet as is for now.
    Thanks for the great tips and advice. I will try adjusting the carb today and let you know how things turn out. Thanks again!

Missouri Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by dinol70 View Post
    Thanks for the great tips and advice. I will try adjusting the carb today and let you know how things turn out. Thanks again!

Sorry, misread your original post, didn't realize carb had been re-jetted, if at all possible get a hold of stock pilot and needle and start from there, you'll probably only have to adjust a/f at that point. I don't know what the numbers are for stock set-up but check out the scar mod sticky uit will be in there some where.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information