Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Made My Own Luggage Rack from Scratch!

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  fl_frank 
#1 ·
I've had an old Givi Monokey trunk around for a while. Picked it up when someone left it at an auction I worked. It has a few scratches and no key, but I just took the lock mech out and other than that it latches shut fine.

So I'm planning a big/long trip and figured I better make room for a bit more storage. I needed a luggage rack to mount the quick disconnect on. So I decided to make one.

I needed a template too trace onto the aluminum plate I was going to use too make the rack. So I had to empty a 30 pack box too make it. Wonder if I can get the wife to fall for that one? LOL

I drilled holes along the sides to use for bungie attachments and to gilve it a little design.

Here are pictures as I made it today and the finished product.

\

See less See more
#2 ·
i don't see any pictures.

#7 ·
I really get into making stuff with aluminum -- so easy to work with (unless you're welding it). That's a very sturdy and very functional luggage rack. Excellent work. Any thoughts to getting it sanded and polished ?? Would look just like chrome. Also, if you like the black, a gloss black powder-coat looks pretty good and is very protective.

#9 ·
I started to sand and polish it but did quite a bit of hammering to bend it and decided not too for now. I know it would look much better. I was in a hurry with this one though. I'll make another one when I get the time and will then use a brake for bending which will leave the entire thing cleaner so that I can polish it much easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.