Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Tires

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  VTX Candy Red 
#1 ·
Everybody knows the stock tires are junk. I wore out two 200 Metzlers and one on the front. I was please with the rear tires. Very good traction wet and dry, corned very good but wore out fast. The front tire was the same. It still cupped like the OEm but took longer.
Last month put on the Battleax and the 851. Took a quick putt of 3100 miles in 12 days. Very pleased with the rear. Same qualities of the Metz but seems to wearing better. The front shows absolutly no signs of cupping. So far they are my tires of choice.

#6 ·
I've had the 200 battleaxe on rear and 851 on the front for about 2000 miles now and love them. No signs of cupping on the front yet. I got about 11,000 miles out of the stock Dunnies.

#7 ·
I ride every day, mostly in South Florida where it rains EVERY DAY in the summer. I couldn't wait to wear out the 'Lops and put on something with some grip on wet roads. So far I'm happy with Metzlers. 200/60 on the rear gives me a little more cornering room, and yes, it fits with NO mods on my 1800C.

#11 ·
Just changed my front tire which was a Metz and I got 13000 miles out of it, but went through two sets of rears. The worst tire was the Battlaxx which was a 200/50/17 won't put those on again, lasted 4000 miles. Before that one I had a stock Metz that was a lot better. I now have a 200/60/16 Metz on her now with a 1000 miles and all seems well so far. I have 21,000 on my scoot.

#14 ·
I was talking to a vtx'er at the Honda shop yesterday about tires. He didn't seem to have any problems and mine only has 3000 miles since last month. He did have an interesting idea however. He put a lower profile on his 1800 which in turn creates more revs on the wheel. He says he's got a lot more speed and quicker pickup now. Sounds good but I suspect it's got a lower top end speed and the speedo is bound to be off a bit.

#15 ·
I thought bums only had one "B".

More to the point, can you be more specific. Where does the bang come from? Some things I've found to cause noise are a missing rubber bushing on the gas tank, a loose license plate, wires inside the headlight, shocks, tailpipes and covers, weak spring on kickstand (very common), missing bolts anywhere, etc.
You could have someone stand next to the bump while you ride over it to try to pinpoint the location of the sound.

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.