Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Couple more questions

908 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  stevel 
#1 ·
2004 VTX 1800 R(1)

Got some new bars for my bike, but I'm having difficulty finding a new wiring harness for it. Would it be easier to just buy some wire and run it manually? I think I found a place to make custom throttle and clutch cables, anything else I'm missing?

Also thinking of cutting off my mufflers and wrapping my pipes. What so I need to worry about here? Back pressure?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
I have not seen custom made wiring for bars... as there are so many sizes... just make the stock wires longer.. been doing this for 40 plus years.

the 1800 has hydraulic clutch and hydraulic front brakes... Hoses needed...for both.

#3 ·
Make the handlebar wires a smidge longer if your bars are longer and then run the wires internal in the handlebars.

G'day,

Vinish

#5 ·
2004 VTX 1800 R(1)

>Got some new bars for my bike, but I'm having difficulty finding a new wiring harness for it. Would it be easier to just buy some wire and run it manually?
Yes, easier and less expensive. Don't rely on any kind of mechanical connectors, solder each joint. Insulate with heat shrink wrap, and the connections will last as long as the bike.

> I think I found a place to make custom throttle and clutch cables, anything else I'm missing?
If you need a clutch cable, you're in the wrong forum, 1800's have hydraulic clutches. 1800's also have PLENTY of extra length on both brake and clutch (hydraulic) hoses. Unless you're going for ridiculous apes, try installing before spending a fortune. If you're in a decent size city, there's probably a hydraulic hose shop that can make extended hoses, or sell extensions that screw right on.

>Also thinking of cutting off my mufflers and wrapping my pipes. What so I need to worry about here? Back pressure?
P-ssing off your neighbors from the noise, and maybe getting ticketed by the cops, depending on how loud your new pipes are. Intake air volume can be indreased with a K&N or other high flow air filter, and exhaust volume can be increased with less retrictive pipe, or larger (in volume) pipes, and the changes that causes in air/fuel mixture can be compensated for with a fuel tuner, making the bike run smoother, cooler, and faster with more power throughout the band.

Or you can just cut the ends off the pipes to make noise.

I prefer the first choice..........................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.