Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Newby - Need riser question answered

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mooneydriver 
#1 ·
Hey all! Just purchased a 2007 1300(S). Gotta get some risers as my back was killing me after a jaunt yesterday. I have a Mustang seat on it but I am feeling too forward.
I googled "Risers vtx cafe" and the threads were mostly for the 1800's.
What I was wondering is what is the most pullback I can get without replacing cables? I read that I may have to get rid of the cable hooks, which I am fine with.
I found a few sets on eBay and I am thinking about 3 1/2 is about the most I can go. Am I correct?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

#4 ·
3-4 inch risers are only about 1.5-2.5 inches greater than the stock risers which are about 1.5 inches. Don't forget that aspect of the math. Whatever riser you put in only gains you 1.5 inches less than the riser height. I have seen various reports on what riser height can be added to the R/S/T without a cable change. Almost certainly 4" will be okay. Some report 5.5 to 6" risers as working with the stock cables but almost certainly some amount of rerouting of the cable will be needed. You will probably also have to unclip one or two of the brake line retainer clips from the handlebar mushroom retainers to gain the needed slack in the brake line. Even then, watch for the brake line being stretched against the tank in a full right lock of the bars.

New risers is an excellent reason to run all your wiring internal in the bars and to replace all your lines/cables with beautiful platinum braided stainless.

G'day,

Vinish

#6 ·
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a great day.:patriot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.