Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1300 Engine Oil Level??

32K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  mooneydriver 
#1 ·
Hello All, I just did my 600 mile initial oil change on my 1300R. I had noticed before the oil change that the oil level was a little high (according to the marks on the factory dip stick). I new I would be changing the oil soon so I did not think much about it. I changed the oil following the shop manual's instruction and added 3.9 Quarts of new oil. I started the bike, warmed her up, shut her down, waited a short while for the oil to settle into the pan, and checked the level. The level is still showing high. It is well above the factory marked upper limit on the dip stick. Is this normal? The stated oil capacity for the bike, when draining oil and replacing the filter, is 3.9 quarts. This is exactly what I added. Can the dip stick be calibrated wrong? I manage a diesel repair shop and have seen this in new engines before. Appreciate the help - thanks.

#7 ·
block of wood works just fine. +1 on not screwing the dip stick in, just wipe it off and sit it back in and then check it, you should be fine then..

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Charlie D- great idea on filing a notch with the bike is on the stand. FYI- I have been checking with the bike upright and not screwing in the cap. This is when the oil level reads a little high with 3.9 quarts in it.

#12 ·
After you change to oil besure to ride it and go through all the gears. Besure it is at opperating temp. Then check it. It may read different, my does.

When you are draining the oil out sit on the seat and rock the bike back and fort. Let it drain from the upright position for a short time. I use to not be able to get the full 4 qts in without it being over serviced until I read a post here that stated what I just said. It worked for me. Give it a try the next time you change the oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.