Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

LED or HID headlight bulb/kits now in stock

17K views 74 replies 20 participants last post by  NDAna 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Okay, your Jan 26 post on your FB page just sold me on your LED headlight.. But then I read further down in your Aug 11 post that "...Am also selling a new LED. While not quite as bright as the HID it is still 2X as bright as stock..."

I get the difference in focus but the LED low beam in the Jan 26 pictures looks a lot brighter than the HID low beam picture.. It sounds like you recommend the LED, is that accurate?

#7 ·
Actually, for raw power and sharper focus the HID has a slight edge, even over the new LED. The HID is about 5000 lumen and the LED is rated at 4400 which is not really a huge difference. Both are MUCH more effective throwing light down the road and make you much more visible to cages.
LEDs are a much easier install (about 10 min) compared to the HID which is more involved and requires a wire harness install. Both units ship complete for $70 with an 18 month warranty.

#8 · (Edited)
Hm. I think I'm back on the fence then. I'll be placing an order with you soon but I think I still have a decision to make..

Thanks

#9 ·
The soon it is installed the safer you will be.
My rule of thumb
Mostly country rides=HID
Mostly in town and freeway=LED
If you want easy install LED hands down.

Reactions: anderson930
#10 · (Edited)
Going with the LED. PM to you sir

#12 ·
Shawn, I've used both and am currently running all led's (headlight, running lights, etc). I really liked the raw light output of the hid, but you do have a certain amount of heat to deal with plus the current draw. The led is just as bright during the day and a different kind of bright at night -- totally safe, just different. Doesn't throw light down the road like the hid but pretty close. And there's no heat and draws much less power. Like Sam mentioned, led install is pretty painless. Mine was just plug into the stock h4 socket, make room in the bucket for the built in fan and button it up. No other pieces to take off, where the hid meant removing the seats and tank to install the wiring harness.
Frank will love his new led headlight :swoon:

#11 ·
I have an LED in my bike and love it! I put an HID kit in my wife's Spyder and it's "twitchy" is the only way to describe it. It works but sometimes it takes a minute, one comes on not both but restart the bike and it works :shrug: but that's all I could find for her application and they are MUCH brighter than stock!

#13 · (Edited)
Well I'm glad I'm going the LED route then! Thanks Mike and Tom:glee:

I'm excited to finally be stepping it up a notch with the headlight. I've been reluctant only because I feel like the single halogen beam is a part of the classic cycle image but visibility definitely has a lot of room for improvement. I'll let you know how this works out for me!

UPDATE:

The LED came in today (thanks for the priority shipping!), and all I can say is this thing is BRIGHT AS FUUU**. I noticed I needed to lower the beam a little bit (small phillips screw on the lower left side of the headlight bucket) and then took it out for a ride. The road was lit up like daylight but no one flashed their lights at me. I will say that the high beam wasn't very noticeable, at least for the roads I was on. Plus, I was wearing yellow lenses, so that may have affected a slight difference in visibility. At a stop sign with a house in front of me, I could see the high beam shoot higher up though so I know it works. Over all, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!

Thanks Sam! :mosh:

#16 ·
I may be sending an order for another HID. Still on the fence. This LED is ok but doesn't have the down-range light of an HID. Toying with the idea of running the HID during those times I won't be using any heated gear, then switching to LED when using heated gear.
I really liked that HID and sorry that I killed it.
I've bookmarked and will let you know.

#19 ·
Thanks for the incoming order! Appreciated.
Do you PayPal- of yes just send $70 to sbeavin@gmail.com and it will be in same or next days mail to you.
If you don't PP the email me for my address
Ride safe.

Reactions: TUGG
#22 ·
I have been holding off on the LED due to short $$ every month...

But time keeps going by...

I like the idea of LED & less juice through the start switch and much less needed to use...

Paypal on the way !!!!! :)

In case it doesnt show?? Been a long time since I used it. lol

Frnkcat@Verizon.net
Frank Catalano
18528 Cherry St
Hesperia, Ca
92345-5522

#26 ·
Hi Vince (my Dad's name and my middle!) Yes sir. I started sell bulb on the VTXOA 10 years ago. There are hundreds of X's with my bulb in them. LEDs easy install, long life, 4400 lumen 3x as bright as stock with lower power draw. Have not found a reasonably priced H3 for the side lights. You can see them but they put little light down the road. If they are powerful they do not fit. Still searching for the the ONE! :) My PayPal is sbeavin@gmail.com $70 shipped and I could get it out yet today if you like. Thanks for the interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.