Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Losing power, bogs down - what could it be?

4K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Charlie D 
#1 ·
My 1800 starts, but when riding its starts to bog down. Then it catches, then loses power and bogs down. I have noticed this before, and it seems like its every time I wash the bike. I only notice this power loss after a few days of washing. Also, to make things more confusing, I did put in a tank of gas 2 days ago. I have read other forums and they said to check the grounding wires and also the battery cables to see if loose. I have done all that...except the common electric ground which forces me to take off the gas tank. Its a 2003 btw. Could it be the battery itself? Any suggestions? I am a newbie, so go easy on me if you have instructions for me to do.

#2 ·
Hi Rb. Welcome.

First thing I thought of was the connection to the battery.

This happening a few days after washing doesn't ring a bell. If it was right after washing it would indicate water shorting something out, but this would be what, water getting somewhere and migrating to a short in a few days. Possible I guess, but I can't explain it.

It could be the battery itself; it's six years old. Do the lights or displays flicker too?

Could you be getting water into your air intake?

#3 ·
Hi Rb. Welcome.

First thing I thought of was the connection to the battery.

This happening a few days after washing doesn't ring a bell. If it was right after washing it would indicate water shorting something out, but this would be what, water getting somewhere and migrating to a short in a few days. Possible I guess, but I can't explain it.

It could be the battery itself; it's six years old. Do the lights or displays flicker too?

Could you be getting water into your air intake?
I don't see how I could have. I washed it on Saturday, let it dry over night. I didn't start the bike until late in the evening on Sunday. I didn't notice any lags on Monday or Tuesday. Got gas Tuesday, Wed was good. Thursday, I went about a 1/2 mile before it started choking.

A little history:
When this happened before(has a couple of times), I took it to the Honda shop. They noticed small 1/2 tsp water at the bottom of my air filter. They scratched their heads, because I had washed the bike at least 3 weeks before that. They would let the bike sit and then start it..and they showed me..a small spirt of water came out of the air filter pin. They were thinking that caused my sensor the go bad..and they replaced the sensor...either fixing the sensor or no more water spirting out of that pin solved the problem. They didn't have an answer. But this time, I do not see any water in the air filter housing at all. Maybe it was the sensor. Any more suggestions? The smell gas is higher than normal, so its running rich.

#6 ·
If that is the original battery, that itself will need replacing anyhow as vehicle batteries have a typical life of 5 years. I always replace mine then, as finding out it is bad otherwise usually leaves one stranded somewhere.

Then there is the grounding issue with the first couple years of VTX's...(the fix is noted here under the mods section somewhere...).

#7 ·
If that is the original battery, that itself will need replacing anyhow as vehicle batteries have a typical life of 5 years. I always replace mine then, as finding out it is bad otherwise usually leaves one stranded somewhere.

Then there is the grounding issue with the first couple years of VTX's...(the fix is noted here under the mods section somewhere...).
Yeah, I checked the grounding issues, except for the common electric ground. I will probably wait till this weekend sometime to get some help with pulling the tank. I'm not sure how old the battery is, as I bought the bike used. I will probably replace it this weekend anyway. Thanks for responding.

#9 ·
When you are getting the lousy running, is your FI indicator lighting up after running, or is it flashing. I had issues with one of the sensors and it turned out it was a partially broken wire leading to the sensor. The light works the same way a Mopar does with the check engine light.

#11 ·
When you are getting the lousy running, is your FI indicator lighting up after running, or is it flashing. I had issues with one of the sensors and it turned out it was a partially broken wire leading to the sensor. The light works the same way a Mopar does with the check engine light.
The FI indicator light does not come on during these bogs. When the Honda place had it last time, I remember them using the FI indicator light to lead them to the sensor in the Air filter. It may be the same problem. I remember them replacing it now that I think about it. There is a way to use a paper clip to do the testing...I will have to get the manual out to figure it out. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

#19 ·
You say it's running rich. Check the fuel pressure regulator. If you look under your tank from the left side you'll see a big brass(Ithink) nut on the end of the fuel rail follow the fuel rail and you'll see a vacuum canister bolted on top of the fuel rail with one hose going to the top of it. Pull that hose off to see if there's any fuel in it or even alittle wet. Sometimes you need to start the bike with that hose off and tap the side of the fpr, if fuel come outta it or if the hose is wet with fuel the fpr needs to be replaced.

#22 ·
rbdenham, I have an 04 1800 with a thunder hurricane air filter and have had the same problem with water occasionally running out the bottom. What I have found is that the crankcase breather is the culprit. But why the water is there is only a guess, I was thinking its condensate from the crankcase. But why? That's something I cant answer. I never seem to have water in the oil, and have no water in the gas.

I also have the problem of the bike bogging down sometimes but it's usually while, or a day after riding in the rain. I know that the Thunder Hurricane breather will suck in water while riding in the rain.

#23 ·
You are the first person I have come across with, what sounds like, my same problem. Good news today though, I took my bike for a long ride and its running 100%. Still do not know why, but your explanation seems to point to an issue. This is what I did that I think helped. Going on the assumption I possibly had water in the bike or bad gas, I bought Heet and Sea Foam. Per instructions, I used the Heet in the gas and the Sea Foam in the oil. I raced out to the road, and for the first 2 or 3 miles, I didn't think I was going to have a chance in hell to make it back to the house. Then, the bike stabalized and no more problems!! Just because, I went and got me a new K&N filter. Just to note, when I opened the housing for the air filter, there was near 1/4 cup of water sitting in there!! I cleaned it out, installed the filter and came back home ...about 20 miles.. No problems I am good.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!! This is a great site.

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.