Gear Indicator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Indicator

Gear Indicator

Hello I am trying to hook up a gear indicator on my 2007 VTX 1300c. I purchased a Dakota Digital gear indicator (here)and would like some information before i start splicing wires. The instructions say that I am suppose to splice the brown wire on the indicator to the neutral switch wire. (i think this is a Light Green wire on my bike, is that correct?). Then it says i am suppose to splice the white wire off the indicator to the Vehicle Speed sensor. (again i am wanting to know if that is the Black/Brown wire on my bike). Hopefully if i can get these wires right and i will be able to post pics of the whole install. Any help would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks

Eyes,
    Try downloading the service manual from the "Sticky" threads. It has the wiring diagram which will tell you your wire colors.

Good luck.

I downloaded the manual and really got confused. I have 3 wires coming off the speed signal thing a Green/Black, a White, and a Black/Brown.

Green/Black is ground
    Black/Browin is power
    White is signal

I have laminated my wiring diagram since I am constantly refering to it.

Black/Brown comes from fuse box (aka power) Green/Black goes to frame ground, that leaves the White wire to be the signal.

Good Luck

thanks i'll give it a try. I hear that Clymer is suppose to be coming out with the 1300 repair manual in 2009. It is suppose to have their color wiring diagram.

Ok im still having problems getting this thing wired up. I got to looking at the wires and it looks like i had some colors wrong. I think this is what i have:

Orange = Left Turn Signal
    Green/Black= Meter
    White/Red = Neutral
    Blue/Red = Oil Presure
    Red/Green = Meter
    White = Meter

The Vehicle Speed Signal would be one of the Meter wires? i have had the White wire hooked up to the speed signal wire and all i could get to work was neutral and the other Gears showed up as "E" on the indicator. I then tried to hook up the Red/Green and the Neutral worrked and all other gears showed "-" on the indicator. I have not tried to hook up the Green/Black to the signal wire yet. Should I? Also I do not have a Tach so i dont think i need the Green wire on the Indicator hooked up, is this right or am I over looking something?

Quote Originally Posted by EyesofDeath View Post
    Ok im still having problems getting this thing wired up. I got to looking at the wires and it looks like i had some colors wrong. I think this is what i have:

Orange = Left Turn Signal
    Green/Black= Meter
    White/Red = Neutral
    Blue/Red = Oil Presure
    Red/Green = Meter
    White = Meter

The Vehicle Speed Signal would be one of the Meter wires? i have had the White wire hooked up to the speed signal wire and all i could get to work was neutral and the other Gears showed up as "E" on the indicator. I then tried to hook up the Red/Green and the Neutral worrked and all other gears showed "-" on the indicator. I have not tried to hook up the Green/Black to the signal wire yet. Should I? Also I do not have a Tach so i dont think i need the Green wire on the Indicator hooked up, is this right or am I over looking something?
    Eyes,
    I am looking at the wiring diagram now, the speed sensor has 3 wires as I mentioned in my former reply. The diagram also shows 3 wires going into the meter, the white wire is definitely your signal, Red/Green is power, Green/Black is ground. Is there any way you could scan your Inidcator's wiring diagram or any hook-up pictures, I might be able to assist. If you want shoot me a PM. Once we firgure it out we can post the results here so everyone else can learn from this.

ok thanks i sent you a pm, really apreciate your help

Eyes,
    I am assuming that they included the "Tach Adapter" cable shown in the diagram. Wire it to the indicator as shown, connect the Yellow wire of the "Adapter" cable to the negative side of the ignition coil. We have 2 coils, one for the front plugs and one for the rear. One set of plugs are the primary plugs the others are the scavengers. I think the rear plugs are teh primary so I would use that coil. Once connected you should be able to program and get rid of teh "E" indicator.

Good luck
    Jeff

thanks you've been a great help. I will let you know how it goes and hopefully get some pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information