Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Gear Indicator

6K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  LazyDawg 
#1 ·
Hello I am trying to hook up a gear indicator on my 2007 VTX 1300c. I purchased a Dakota Digital gear indicator (here)and would like some information before i start splicing wires. The instructions say that I am suppose to splice the brown wire on the indicator to the neutral switch wire. (i think this is a Light Green wire on my bike, is that correct?). Then it says i am suppose to splice the white wire off the indicator to the Vehicle Speed sensor. (again i am wanting to know if that is the Black/Brown wire on my bike). Hopefully if i can get these wires right and i will be able to post pics of the whole install. Any help would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks

#4 ·
Green/Black is ground
Black/Browin is power
White is signal

I have laminated my wiring diagram since I am constantly refering to it.

Black/Brown comes from fuse box (aka power) Green/Black goes to frame ground, that leaves the White wire to be the signal.

Good Luck

#6 ·
Ok im still having problems getting this thing wired up. I got to looking at the wires and it looks like i had some colors wrong. I think this is what i have:

Orange = Left Turn Signal
Green/Black = Meter
White/Red = Neutral
Blue/Red = Oil Presure
Red/Green = Meter
White = Meter

The Vehicle Speed Signal would be one of the Meter wires? i have had the White wire hooked up to the speed signal wire and all i could get to work was neutral and the other Gears showed up as "E" on the indicator. I then tried to hook up the Red/Green and the Neutral worrked and all other gears showed "-" on the indicator. I have not tried to hook up the Green/Black to the signal wire yet. Should I? Also I do not have a Tach so i dont think i need the Green wire on the Indicator hooked up, is this right or am I over looking something?

#7 ·
Ok im still having problems getting this thing wired up. I got to looking at the wires and it looks like i had some colors wrong. I think this is what i have:

Orange = Left Turn Signal
Green/Black= Meter
White/Red = Neutral
Blue/Red = Oil Presure
Red/Green = Meter
White = Meter

The Vehicle Speed Signal would be one of the Meter wires? i have had the White wire hooked up to the speed signal wire and all i could get to work was neutral and the other Gears showed up as "E" on the indicator. I then tried to hook up the Red/Green and the Neutral worrked and all other gears showed "-" on the indicator. I have not tried to hook up the Green/Black to the signal wire yet. Should I? Also I do not have a Tach so i dont think i need the Green wire on the Indicator hooked up, is this right or am I over looking something?
Eyes,
I am looking at the wiring diagram now, the speed sensor has 3 wires as I mentioned in my former reply. The diagram also shows 3 wires going into the meter, the white wire is definitely your signal, Red/Green is power, Green/Black is ground. Is there any way you could scan your Inidcator's wiring diagram or any hook-up pictures, I might be able to assist. If you want shoot me a PM. Once we firgure it out we can post the results here so everyone else can learn from this.

#9 ·
Eyes,
I am assuming that they included the "Tach Adapter" cable shown in the diagram. Wire it to the indicator as shown, connect the Yellow wire of the "Adapter" cable to the negative side of the ignition coil. We have 2 coils, one for the front plugs and one for the rear. One set of plugs are the primary plugs the others are the scavengers. I think the rear plugs are teh primary so I would use that coil. Once connected you should be able to program and get rid of teh "E" indicator.

Good luck
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.