Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Cobra FI200R settings- consensus

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Fairplayer916 
#1 ·
I've searched and found numbers all over the place. Looking for consensus on the best overall settings. My 2007 1800 F has Cobra slash cut slipons, HyperchargerR and desmog/PAIR valves removed (block off plates). Installed FI yesterday with factory settings (4.5/3/0) and it stopped most of the decal lean pop, but seems somewhat less crisp. Appreciate input.

edit...duh FI 2000R

#3 ·
I run a beta system that has 3 dials. I had it dialed in with a dynometer. My setting may not match your requirements but, I'll check'm later this afternoon and update this post with the settings anyway.

FTR,..you made a better choice than the power commander. :stirpot:

#4 ·
There are several private label versions of Dobeck's EJK (Electronic Jet kit) like the Arlen Ness Big Shot, the Wiseco Fuel management Controller, DynaTek FI Controller, etc. I can't find any info that says the Cobra FI200 is a Dobeck EJK with a different label. The packaging looks different. If you can confirm that what you have is another private label Dobeck device, I can help you with my settings. Otherwise I'll probably only add confusion to the crickets.

#5 ·
I ran 3/2/0 for a while and it worked really well. But after installation of a baffle inside my HK Sideburner, that combination became too rich. K&N air filter didn't help, so I dialed the FI2000 to 1/0/0. Now it runs kinda ok, but the backfire has returned. Will keep on experimenting.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 VTX1800F. It's got HK Sideburners and a K&N Filter. I've completed the PAIR removal with block-off plates and my stock air box has been decap'd.
On my Cobra FI2000R, I have the knobs set at 2/0/0 and the decel pop is nearly non-existent. MAYBE one time during long rides with lots of elevation changes, I'll hear a bit of popping. I'm also still well balanced at my 38-40 mpg fuel economy that I got before I installed the programmer.
Some things that really add to the variability you see between bikes that even seem identical:
- Elevation, humidity, temperatures, etc. WILL affect the settings your bike is happiest with (the elevations I find myself in are usually between 2,000 and 3,000 ft, low humidity)
- Riding style WILL affect the settings your bike performs best with. (example: if you're a rider that prefers heavier down-shifting/engine braking, you'll have to fight decel pop more)
- I'm sure there are many more
The goal/capability of the FI2000R is only to add more fuel at decel (knob 1), cruising (knob 2), and WOT (knob 3). The factory computer on these Hondas tend to run lean in decel and cruising, hence the popularity of the programmers. Keep in mind that the factory settings are sufficient to prevent damage and maintain decent performance.
One of the best ways to fine tune your settings, short of taking it to a Dyno-tune shop, is to read your spark plugs. Your spark plugs are the quickest and easiest way to know for sure if your bike is running rich or lean. Check out this chart for a good reference in reading your plugs.

Purple Violet Chocolate Food Dessert

#7 ·
Hello, dead post I know but thought I'd try my luck.

On the cobra fi2000r 3 turret tuner you fine folks are discussing here, want to ask a clarification question:

The higher the setting on a turret, the richer the fuel correct?

I ask because I recently picked up an 02' 1800c with:

A cobra fi2000r
K&n reusable air filter
Stock exhaust

Spark plugs were black and wet, (so running very rich).

+ Seller told me the bike was set up for cobra pipes that he removed at some point, and never bothered to retune afterwards.

At the moment, I just disconnected the ground on the cobra tuner to see if that would help lean out the bike, but after checking the new plugs with about 300 miles on them,i can already see they are wet and dark.

May repost this on a new thread, but figured I'd start here.

#8 ·
From what I have read on the VTX forum the Cobra tuner such as yours is set as follows starting from the left: 2,0,0. This is what I have on my 2003 1800c and there is no problem. This is assuming that it has been de-smoged, the valves tuned, and the fuel pressure regulator has been changed out. Not too sure if the desmoging makes a difference but that is all I know.

#9 ·
Thanks

Thank you for the baseline. I'll reconnect my tuner and set It there. It was set to like 3,7,10.

Its been desmogged.
Just had the valves adjusted last week at a shop.
Just checked the regulator. No fuel leaking. Not even when priming.

I'll clean my plugs and see if they are any better in say 100 miles? Should I go longer before checking again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.