Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Heated gear?

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  RenegadeRick 
#1 ·
Looking for a reliable set up, which would likely be heated glove liners (or possibly heated gloves) and a heated vest or shirt. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Gerbing's. I personally don't have any, since 50*F is my cutoff. Lots of high end vendors, like Aerostich, who I get catalogs from.

#3 ·
I have Gerbings gloves, jacket liner and pants, the latter 2 I found used. Dual controller for jacket/gloves and pants. You can stay even too warm with this setup right down to freezing but the price for what amounts to electric blanket wires in a rain suit is ridiculous imo

#4 ·
For the winter, I have a long sleeve shirt but on the coldest days, I wear a windbreaker!:stirpot:

Reactions: mjklaser
#8 ·
I like to get in some rides year round, here in SW Va. I've tried different gear but am happy with Gerbings gloves and jacket liner. Though about the vest, but listened to others and got the jacket liner. And my favorite jacket to wear with the jacket liner is an inexpensive Walls from Wally World: water-proof, quilted lined, keeps the heat in. Despite getting into the single digit or below chill factor, I've never turned the dual controller past halfway on gloves or liner. Most times I end up turning it down some.
For pants, I use flannel lined jeans with Underarmor extreme cold long johns. In my boots, I use Hot Hands insole heated pads. Over my head I use a balacava.
I run all LED lights for a few reasons, one being to save on electrical power for things like heated gear. Can't remember the exact wattage put out, but its somewhere around 385. Something to keep in mind.
In the winter, my rides are off the ridges where it is typically 10* colder. I tend to stay out less than 2 hours. I'm an old diabetic and have to make concessions and not get too stressed. Sucks, but it is what it is.
:icon_chee

Reactions: PaXman11
#9 ·
Guys with the heated gear: Did you install a special outlet or some such doo-hicky to plug it in to? Or use battery tender plug? I've thought about using some this 'winter'. I know nothing about heated gear. It gets a tad cold here. Haven't rode in less than 20* here because, well frankly, it hasn't been colder than that. In a while. But at 75mph the wind chill is pretty darn cold no matter what the temp is.

#11 ·
James, I made a bracket from 1/8" aluminum that fits behind the ignition switch housing. I got the outlet from Gerbings and wired to an open fused outlet on a secondary fuse block I mounted to the toolbox door. Works pretty good and I just have to reach down to unplug. My dual controller is fastened to the lower left side of my jacket. The wire from the controller easily reach the power outlet, without being too long. In the pic, the outlet is up to the left. The rocker switch is to the lights in my airfilter cover.
Here are a few pics cause it did happen:

Attachments

#12 ·
Right, well bought a set of gerbing heated gloves & a heated jacket liner today from my local moto shop. Also ordered a dual controller from the Interwebs (shop was sold out). Looking forward to hooking it all up & extended the season some.

#14 ·
Have the wireless dual controller & it kicks ass. I'm away at work for the next few days, but if I remember when I'm home I'll check which gloves I have. Been very, very happy with the whole setup so far - it seriously extended my riding season. I was last out about 10 days ago, but I expect it will be a good while before I can ride again. It's currently -25C at home (too tired to do the conversion to freedom degrees right now).

#15 ·
That is a bit cold even in Freedom degrees. -13. I assume the wireless has some sort of battery. I also read where some gloves can be used with a battery as well as 12v bike power. I didn't like the battery only gloves. My thinking was when the battery was low you had to have 115v power to charge them.

#16 ·
Buncha Wussies!! :bleh: :stirpot: :doh: :16:

Just got back from a brisk romp, a 50-miler... 44F, my absolute minimum... I wasn't cold, though... I was all duded up in my layers and leathers:

One last riding pic of the season... a cool old place - I want to buy that vintage gas pump for my backyard decor! LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.