Headed cross country again, and I need some site-seeing spots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headed cross country again, and I need some site-seeing spots

Post Thanks / Like

Headed cross country again, and I need some site-seeing spots

Well its been a little more than 10 years since my last cross country trip. I had plan to go last year but hadn't had the bike back together long enough to test it out before taking it across country. So my plan is to head out the first week of July and ride from NC to Seattle. Other than stopping by Rapid City, Yellowstone, and Little Big Horn, I don't know of any "must see" sites. So if any of you live in or have ridden through KY, CO, WY, NE, ID, are any of the NW states and know of some great roads or great sites you think would be good to visit let me know. Likewise if any of you know of any state VTX gatherings happening in July in the NW or bike rallies let me know and I'll try to swing through and say hello.

Thanks in advance,

Fishingfoolemjak is offline Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, on your way thru WNC you should let me know, if I can, I'll ride a bit with ya... in KY, mammoth cave is pretty freakin awesome. Also in western KY is Kentucky Lake which is pretty scenic.... are you planning on highways or back roads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishingfoolemjak View Post
    Well, on your way thru WNC you should let me know, if I can, I'll ride a bit with ya... in KY, mammoth cave is pretty freakin awesome. Also in western KY is Kentucky Lake which is pretty scenic.... are you planning on highways or back roads?
    Will do, you are more than welcome to saddle-up and ride a couple day out or until you need to turn around. I will probably ride a combination of both. I typically take the back roads heading to my destination and spend a lot more time site-seeing. On the way back I lean more towards the highway or old highways like route 66 since I usually spend more time site-seeing getting to destination than when I head back home. But I don't have a set path just a destination and the number of days I plan to be on the road.

BTW the next time I'm up in Sylva, Waynesville, or Murphy I will let you know so we can put in some miles.

4. ThanksFishingfoolemjak thanked for this post
  5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a dream ride. How many days are you planning on the way out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wngd View Post
    Sounds like a dream ride. How many days are you planning on the way out?
    21 days total. Its about 3000 miles to Seattle and since I will be stopping and zigzagging along the way I'll probably give myself 8 or 9 days to get there see the ocean and then ride down the SoCal coastline and head back through Nevada and Colorado. Depending on the weather in Seattle, I may ride up to Vancouver and spend a day. I figure I can make it back from California in 5 or 6 days and still enjoy the ride.

BTW I will probably be back up to Port Dover for July's Fri. 13, 2018 Get-together
    Also great pic, where did you take that at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like an awesome (although LONG) trip..
    Lots to see & do on that route.
    Had planned to spend two weeks up around SD, WY, MT etc seeing many of the same sights.
    Kids & grandkids live in Oregon & Washington, so get to visit there often (to wet for me)..
    Didnt pan out for me this year, but have camping gear ready for next year.. (car trip)...

mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    dezzy7, you mentioned Colorado... if you're going that way, I just posted these in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mjklaser View Post
    Yes, Estes Park is a nice mountain town just outside the Fall River (eastern) entrance of the Rocky Mountain National Park. Being so, it's a gotten a little 'touristy', but not so much as to diminish its qualities. The ride up from Denver is really beautiful but can get a little trafficky depending on timing. You should swing through Boulder first and check out Pearl Steet (you have to park and walk it - and you'll get the real taste of Boulder) and maybe go to the Walnut Street Brewery (brewpub with fantastic food and fine ales crafted right there - my all-time favorite). But the real destination, if you're there in Summer (it's still closed due to snowpack in Spring), is to traverse the Rocky Mountain National Park via Trail Ridge Road National Scenic Byway (U.S. Highway 34) from Estes Park, to Grand Lake at the western entrance to the National Park (~50 miles) - this is a truly, stunningly beautiful and amazing ride that will knock your socks off. Tons of wildlife (elk, moose, mountain goat, etc) to see - and be wary of - on two wheels. You'll reach 12,000 feet elevation near Fall River Pass and want to stop at the Alpine Visitor Center for blow-your-mind vistas and overlooks. You'll cross the Continental Divide at Milner Pass, and reach Grand Lake, a real-deal Rockies mountain town - you'll want to explore there for a while. Plan your timing properly (avoid weather and darkness), bring your cold-weather gear (it can get quite chilly up there in the passes, even on a hot summer day down below), and it's wise to lodge in Estes Park first, and give yourself a full day for the traverse and back, as you'll want to make many stops for pictures, viewing, etc. Or stay overnight in Grand Lake at the Grand Lake Lodge, for yet another great experience. You can make this a quintessential lifetime experience, if planned well. Feel free to PM me if you have detailed questions...

P.S. Another good reason to stay overnight in Estes Park first, is to acclimate to the elevation... it's at 7500 ft and walking around there as much as you can the day before is a great way to ready your body for the thinner air at 12,000 ft. Elevation sickness is very real for some people, and must be taken seriously when on two wheels...
    Quote Originally Posted by mjklaser View Post
    Even early July can be a bit dicey, but definitely July or August... I've slid off the road in ice storms on the high passes in June and September... the weather can change on a dime up there, so knowledge and planning are your best friends... https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/road_status.htm

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvis...ridge_road.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dezzy7 View Post
    Well its been a little more than 10 years since my last cross country trip. I had plan to go last year but hadn't had the bike back together long enough to test it out before taking it across country. So my plan is to head out the first week of July and ride from NC to Seattle. Other than stopping by Rapid City, Yellowstone, and Little Big Horn, I don't know of any "must see" sites. So if any of you live in or have ridden through KY, CO, WY, NE, ID, are any of the NW states and know of some great roads or great sites you think would be good to visit let me know. Likewise if any of you know of any state VTX gatherings happening in July in the NW or bike rallies let me know and I'll try to swing through and say hello.

Thanks in advance,
    I envy you

safe riding

11. ThanksPaXman11 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back in '87 when I started riding, me and a friend were gonna sell everything we owned and buy a couple Harleys and ride from Ohio to CA. I had living relatives at the time, so staying somewhere was covered. Being married with children, my then wife wasn't too cool with the idea lol. I used to get baked like a loaf of bread back then haha, but I digress. Every once in a while the urge still hits me to make that trip. I have driven there and back many times over the years, but it's not the same. Next year I will have more vacation days here at work and have considered planning a trip test-ride, so to speak. Just to see if I can handle being in the saddle that long. Maybe I should start planning...

Post Thanks / Like
    Devils Tower, Painted Desert, the Bad Lands, will add more when I remember my trip way back when. 7,300 miles.

Napa valley back roads if into California.

Avoid Kanas. at all cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information