Drank the Kool-Aid and it almost killed me.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drank the Kool-Aid and it almost killed me.

Post Thanks / Like

Drank the Kool-Aid and it almost killed me.

So several years ago I let several "Friends" talk me into selling my 06 1300R and buy a 05 H****y Fatboy. I didn't love that one, sold it and bought an 07 Ultra. Well after the PITA that turned out to be it's gone now and I am shopping for another VTX.

So looking in my local area there are quite a few VTX1800's for sale as well as 1300's. I loved the looks of my old 1300R so I'm looking for an R, whichever size I settle on. So what do you all think, I was very satisfied with my 1300R, but an 1800 sounds interesting as well. So pros and cons both ways, gas mileage, maintenance etc. Thanks

Fishingfoolemjak is online now Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never owned an 1800, but I checked one out before I bought my 1300. My only decision against the 1800 at the time was it seemed more top heavy to me. I bought the 1300 and realized that it was just that I hadn't been on a bike in years, so I kind of wish I had gone with the 1800. BUT, I love my 1300 and after reading a bunch of the threads on the 1800's I feel like the 1300 is probably easier to work on.... but that's just one guys opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.... good luck!

3. Thankssumdatx thanked for this post
    RETURN BIKER is offline Senior Member
    Maryland Riders Group
    Virginia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back!

The 1800 was too big for me, as were other brands and models. As said above, it did feel top heavy.

Personally, I've been more than satisfied with my 1300. I run out of skill and nerve long before it runs out of get-up-and-go.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Just remember that white is the most comfortable color!

Vaughn

5. ThanksHiramsaint, sumdatx thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Hiramsaint is online now Deplorable member Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same for me with the 1800. At 5'8'' and 170 lbs., the 1300 fits just right. I have an 1800 and rode it once but it seems too top heavy for me also. I can flat foot my 1300 with knees slightly bent-MB 10 1/2'' shocks-and it works for me. As stated above, I run out of nerve and skill long before my 1300 reaches it's full potential. I'll have a nice 1800 R for sale in the spring.

8. Thankssumdatx thanked for this post
    Fishingfoolemjak is online now Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiramsaint View Post
    Same for me with the 1800. At 5'8'' and 170 lbs., the 1300 fits just right. I have an 1800 and rode it once but it seems too top heavy for me also. I can flat foot my 1300 with knees slightly bent-MB 10 1/2'' shocks-and it works for me. As stated above, I run out of nerve and skill long before my 1300 reaches it's full potential. I'll have a nice 1800 R for sale in the spring.
    If you need me to give the 1800 a comfortable garage I'd do my best to help you out...

10. Thankssumdatx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    many threads on this subject. "Search" is your friend.

I am OLD School.. Go BIG or stay on the porch. but that's me , and I prefer to ride. and I do not have a porch...

besides, I am 6'3 and 250... to answer your question.

12. Thanksnate6966 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 1800 because I am a pretty big fella even after I lost some weight recently it fits me well. I love my 1800 and have been customizing it with so many aftermarket parts for the 1300 and 1800 you can do mild to wild. Welcome back and good luck with whatever you choose.

Post Thanks / Like
    *** BLACK is the fastest color!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pros and cons are mostly a subjective thing.

I've heard the 1800 is a bigger machine, better suited to big guys. Like Silver F, I'm 6'2" and 240, but I ride a 1300. It's the first bike I've ever owned and I love it. Is it physically smaller than the 1800? I don't think so, although I will say this....the first time I rode it around the block my wife and kids were watching, and when I got back to the house, my daughter said something that I didn't quite catch, but it involved the words 'looks so small'. Haha! I instantly pictured a monkey f***ing a football. Is that what I look like on this thing? Like a circus bear on a tricycle? My wife put her hand over our daughter's mouth and whispered 'don't say that in front of him.' Hahaha, I'm sure they thought I was too excited at the time to hear their conversation, but I did hear it and figure they were talking about the bike looking small for me. It still makes me laugh after all these years. Anyhoo, I'm not sure what my point was other than height and bike size do not correlate. There's plenty of tall guys who ride both 1300 and 1800's, as well as 'less tall' guys who ride both.
    One difference that comes up often is the sound. The 1300's run a single pin crank which gives it a nice exhaust sound
    and somewhat of a 'lope'. I love the sound of my 1300 with Cobra pipes. Nice rumble or growl when I twist the throttle, but quiet when I coast back into the hood.....perfect. The 1800's have been compared to more of a Nascar sound. Plenty of guys love that sound too.
    This summer, Maddog and I met up and rode to Niagara Falls to meet Cueballblaster and his buddy SpyderBill. This is the first time I've ever ridden(rode?) with an 1800 and I will tell you that big ass heavy bike has got some serious get up and go. My god! When Steve hit the throttle, that big ass bike just disappeared. I kept up with him no problem, but only because we didn't see any cops around.(honestly, I think he might have held back so I wouldn't get lost, Lol) The 1800 is a torque machine that will put most bikes to shame. Something to consider if that's what you're looking for.
    Again, it all boils down to personal preference.
    Congrats on leaving the darkside(not the tire choice) and returning to the force.

16. ThanksFishingfoolemjak, sumdatx, mjklaser, Hondaboi thanked for this post
    Hiramsaint is online now Deplorable member Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishingfoolemjak View Post
    If you need me to give the 1800 a comfortable garage I'd do my best to help you out...
    If you mean 5K by "help" then you gotta deal.

18. ThanksFishingfoolemjak, wigit thanked for this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information