Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Drank the Kool-Aid and it almost killed me.

6K views 100 replies 22 participants last post by  Beastie Boy 
#1 ·
So several years ago I let several "Friends" talk me into selling my 06 1300R and buy a 05 H****y Fatboy. I didn't love that one, sold it and bought an 07 Ultra. Well after the PITA that turned out to be it's gone now and I am shopping for another VTX.

So looking in my local area there are quite a few VTX1800's for sale as well as 1300's. I loved the looks of my old 1300R so I'm looking for an R, whichever size I settle on. So what do you all think, I was very satisfied with my 1300R, but an 1800 sounds interesting as well. So pros and cons both ways, gas mileage, maintenance etc. Thanks

#2 ·
I've never owned an 1800, but I checked one out before I bought my 1300. My only decision against the 1800 at the time was it seemed more top heavy to me. I bought the 1300 and realized that it was just that I hadn't been on a bike in years, so I kind of wish I had gone with the 1800. BUT, I love my 1300 and after reading a bunch of the threads on the 1800's I feel like the 1300 is probably easier to work on.... but that's just one guys opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.... :cheers: good luck!

Reactions: sumdatx
#3 ·
Welcome back!

The 1800 was too big for me, as were other brands and models. As said above, it did feel top heavy.

Personally, I've been more than satisfied with my 1300. I run out of skill and nerve long before it runs out of get-up-and-go.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Just remember that white is the most comfortable color! :cheers:

Vaughn

#4 ·
Same for me with the 1800. At 5'8'' and 170 lbs., the 1300 fits just right. I have an 1800 and rode it once but it seems too top heavy for me also. I can flat foot my 1300 with knees slightly bent-MB 10 1/2'' shocks-and it works for me. As stated above, I run out of nerve and skill long before my 1300 reaches it's full potential. I'll have a nice 1800 R for sale in the spring.

#5 ·
If you need me to give the 1800 a comfortable garage I'd do my best to help you out...

#6 ·
many threads on this subject. "Search" is your friend.

I am OLD School.. Go BIG or stay on the porch. but that's me , and I prefer to ride. and I do not have a porch...:)

besides, I am 6'3 and 250... to answer your question.

#7 ·
I have an 1800 because I am a pretty big fella even after I lost some weight recently it fits me well. I love my 1800 and have been customizing it with so many aftermarket parts for the 1300 and 1800 you can do mild to wild. Welcome back and good luck with whatever you choose.

#8 ·
*** BLACK is the fastest color!

#11 ·
And that special blend of fast and black equals WARP SPEEDcapable. Me, eh, manuvering thrusters only :coffeecup:

#9 ·
Pros and cons are mostly a subjective thing.

I've heard the 1800 is a bigger machine, better suited to big guys. Like Silver F, I'm 6'2" and 240, but I ride a 1300. It's the first bike I've ever owned and I love it. Is it physically smaller than the 1800? I don't think so, although I will say this....the first time I rode it around the block my wife and kids were watching, and when I got back to the house, my daughter said something that I didn't quite catch, but it involved the words 'looks so small'. Haha! I instantly pictured a monkey f***ing a football. Is that what I look like on this thing? Like a circus bear on a tricycle? My wife put her hand over our daughter's mouth and whispered 'don't say that in front of him.' Hahaha, I'm sure they thought I was too excited at the time to hear their conversation, but I did hear it and figure they were talking about the bike looking small for me. It still makes me laugh after all these years. Anyhoo, I'm not sure what my point was other than height and bike size do not correlate. There's plenty of tall guys who ride both 1300 and 1800's, as well as 'less tall' guys;) who ride both.
One difference that comes up often is the sound. The 1300's run a single pin crank which gives it a nice exhaust sound
and somewhat of a 'lope'. I love the sound of my 1300 with Cobra pipes. Nice rumble or growl when I twist the throttle, but quiet when I coast back into the hood.....perfect. The 1800's have been compared to more of a Nascar sound. Plenty of guys love that sound too.
This summer, Maddog and I met up and rode to Niagara Falls to meet Cueballblaster and his buddy SpyderBill. This is the first time I've ever ridden(rode?) with an 1800 and I will tell you that big ass heavy bike has got some serious get up and go. My god! When Steve hit the throttle, that big ass bike just disappeared. I kept up with him no problem, but only because we didn't see any cops around.(honestly, I think he might have held back so I wouldn't get lost, Lol) The 1800 is a torque machine that will put most bikes to shame. Something to consider if that's what you're looking for.
Again, it all boils down to personal preference.
Congrats on leaving the darkside(not the tire choice) and returning to the force. :cheers:

#17 ·
"HI-YO, Silllverrrr!" Awayyy!

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak
#13 ·
I've sat on a couple of 1800's and could feel the "top heavy" sensation a little. Nothing you wouldn't get used to fairly easily. Certainly would take some practice when grabbing a handful of throttle and not sliding off the seat. I get along pretty good with my carb'd 1300 but appreciate the benefits of EFI on the 1800. Both R model bikes share the same rear fender == got an 1800 transplanted to mine and it fits perfectly. There are more similarities than you'd think. If I lived out west and hit those long straight roads, I think I'd have a lot of fun with the 1800. Also, it would tow one of those small m/c campers easily and there are still hitches available for the R's.
I'd say get yourself a ride on an 1800 and see what YOU think.
:patriot::canada-flag:

#15 ·
Here's the major differences between the 1300 and 1800... (greater detail is best found through Google and Wikipedia since it can be difficult to find Honda sourced details on these discontinued bikes)

• 1800 is fuel injected, 1300 is carbureted
  • 1300 has about 60 hp and 75 ft-lbs torque at the rear wheel stock
  • 1800 has about 89 hp and 99 ft-lbs torque at the rear wheel stock
  • 1300 weighs between 675-745 lbs, 1800 weighs between 775-805
  • 1800 has linked brake system, larger calipers, and a second rotor on the front wheel
  • 1300 has conventional forks and the 1800 has inverted forks
  • Price difference is typically about $1,000 or so more for a used 1800 versus the 1300 (depending on your local market)
  • 1800 has a dual pin crank and the 1300 has a single pin. This impacts exhaust sound. The 1300 gives a traditional "potato" sound and the 1800 sounds "weird" (some like the sound, others hate it - the 1800 will NEVER sound similar to a Harley)
  • The 1800 was discontinued in 2008 while Honda discontinued the VTX 1300 models after 2009

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Reading your list makes me glad I got the 1300!! Thanks for the info nate6966!

#18 ·
^^^ hahahaaaaahaaaaa

Reactions: PaXman11
#20 ·
"A fiery HORSE with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty ..... HIIIYOOOO, SIIILLVERRRR, AWAYYYY!"

GOD, am I old. LOL

#19 ·
^^^ As Tom said also, if I had more out-West, open-highway type roads, an 1800 would suit me just fine and likely be preferrable. I'm 6'2"/240. But the Northeast is full of tightly twisted roads, comparatively, and even though I'd toss an 1800 through the curves just as much (I've ridden my buddy's 1800 Neo), I think it's much easier with the 1300 - and with ram-air plus FP3 rejet, the 1300 has more than enough 'giddyup' for me... I scare myself sometimes... :mosh:

#21 ·
The only benefit of the 1800 is fuel injection. Now if you go long periods without riding, thats a huge benefit.

#24 ·
clearly its a matter of choice..

but the difference of 1300 to 1800.. has many things... way more then the above items.

and a lot more then just fuel injection.

my 1986 Honda Goldwing SEi was fuel injected... and Way more computer stuff.

#27 ·
Thanks for all the great info. Where I live (the Southwest US) there is LOTS of wide open roads. I do enjoy LONG riding days (my longest was 874miles in 16 hrs ) with plenty of 5-600 mile days. I'm also 6'2" and 220lb. Keeping all that in mind, as much as I loved my 1300R, I think it's going to be an 1800R this time. Now I just have to find the right bike/color etc.

#28 ·
Good luck!

#29 ·
Ive had both the 1300 for 2 years and then an 1800N came along i just could not resist.
Im 5'9 1/2 should be about 170 but lately 185+
I loved the 1300 fast nimble and a smooth ride.
the 1800 Yes its top heavy (means nothing once rolling) and I throw it up from the stand instead of just using a knee to knock it upright like the 1300,
to me the difference is in the ride. the 1800 just feels like you can go all day Mind you Ive done 10-12 hours a day on each but the 1800 just feels like a big comfy couch as i roll the highway, and the extra ponies in it well they sure do wide up nice if you want to.

#32 ·
BLACK -is- the fastest color. Tell him, Matt.

#34 ·
I'm pretty sure every bike I pass is black....................

#35 ·
Black is fast, even has warp speed
But Silver is so fast you hardly see the color and it has hyperdrive to exceed warp speed.
By the way, I love my 1800 :)
Good luck on the search. Looking forward to see what you find.

Reactions: PaXman11
#36 ·
Silver is pretty much gray..... which is just a mix of black and white...... slow. Red is a primary (first) color which is not a hybrid mix of slow colors and not possibly created by the mixing of other colors....:bleh:

#38 ·
Even in the slowest color, an 1800 is faster than a 1300 [emoji2] (but anyone who's ridden long enough knows that a skilled rider can easily embarrass a rider on a more powerful bike)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak
#39 ·
I just asked Google......
According to University of Wisconsin-Madison, The Wonders of Physics

"Because the colors of light travel at different speeds, they get bent by different amounts and come out all spread out instead of mixed up.
Violet travels the slowest so it is on the botton (least bent) and red travels the fastest so it is on top (most bent)"

So yes, red is fast, but also bent LOL

Reactions: mjklaser
#41 ·
I knew I was f'd up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.