Battery Tender?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Tender??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKY5151 View Post
    There are several inexpensive tenders on the market that do not regulate that well, the one from Harbor Freight comes to mind first. I have several of the HF tenders and several expensive tenders, I don't use the HF tenders any more as I have had the drying out problem with them....
    Huh? I don't see any Battery Tenders available for purchase at Harbor Freight. Lots of battery chargers... Nothing manufactured by Deltran, and nothing with the Battery Tender brand name. A typical trickle charger or 'battery maintainer' is not the same thing as a Battery Tender.

2. ThanksRenegadeRick thanked for this post
    Bassdude404 is online now The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinish View Post
    I didn't know they still made any motorcycle batteries where you had to check the water level. I thought they were all the sealed type. Even when I bought one online and it came with the acid/water/electrolyte liquid that I had to add, the top sealed after the liquid was added and the liquid level could no longer be inspected or changed. I thought all these batteries were sealed. Guess I was wrong. Dang, I've only been up for 30 minutes. Usually I'm not wrong for the first time each day until I've been up for at least an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver F View Post
    cheap batteries do.. not higher priced units. they are sealed after filling.
    Battery for the CB350 and Jenny's Shadow 1100 (Yuasa) both are NOT maintenance free units...Replaced the one in Jen's bike this past summer, and come to find out her old one was just low on acid...Went ahead and replaced it anyways though...

Have a Black & Decker float charger and two Schumacher's that do exactly the same thing as the "Battery Tender" brand does....On/off automatically as it monitors the voltage for winter storage....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdude404 View Post
    Have a Black & Decker float charger and two Schumacher's that do exactly the same thing as the "Battery Tender" brand does....On/off automatically as it monitors the voltage for winter storage....
    There are certainly other brands of smart chargers on the market that do the same thing as Deltran's Battery Tenders. Here's a diagram of how Deltran's charging algorithms work (clipped from Deltran's website). I don't know if your particular chargers are similar, but as you can see, it's a bit more involved than monitoring voltage and turning the charge on and off.

Not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that there is a significant difference between standard chargers and smart chargers, and that the typical trickle chargers or battery maintainers may not be doing what some people think they do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    Huh? I don't see any Battery Tenders available for purchase at Harbor Freight. Lots of battery chargers... Nothing manufactured by Deltran, and nothing with the Battery Tender brand name. A typical trickle charger or 'battery maintainer' is not the same thing as a Battery Tender.
    Semantics, just as all copy machines were called Xerox machines in the 80's, my use of the term "battery tender" was not specifically for a certain brand name, but rather, for battery charge maintainers regardless of manufacturer. I have owned boats, travel trailers, motor homes, scissor lifts, boom lifts, fork lifts, you name it, and have had issues with battery maintenance on all of them regardless of whether they have standard chargers that came with them or high dollar after market charger / maintainers. All a maintenance free battery is, is a battery with no openings in the top of the case to allow you to check and add water when needed. They are vented, water and electrolyte filled cells (except for the newer glassmat and gel cell units) just like reqular batteries and constitute a means to sell you more batteries, particularly in applications where you do not use the battery for long periods of time and keep them on a maintainer. I try to never buy maintenance free batteries when I can get the ones with vent caps so I can maintain them myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    99.95% sure that the unit I threw away was a Schumacher. It cooked THREE car batteries.

The ONLY brand that I will trust and use, going forward, is Deltran.

Hiramsaint is online now Deplorable member Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't you pansies just ride once in awhile?

Post Thanks / Like
    I rode yesterday @ 55 deg., so, ya bike hasn't been on the charger yet this year.

10. ThanksHiramsaint thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiramsaint View Post
    Why don't you pansies just ride once in awhile?

OK... you ride point, I'll follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    OK... you ride point, I'll follow.

Sounds like someone is throwing down the gauntlet ..........................not me.........................but someone!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    what's a charger? I thought that was a car.....

14. ThanksHiramsaint thanked for this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information