Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

How do you keep warm in the winter months?

4K views 67 replies 26 participants last post by  bill_rides 
#1 ·
I commute 17 miles each way from North Plano to Dallas Texas. Was a brisk 31 leaving the house this morning. Put my hands down by the engine head to give them some heat between stops. What sort of things do you all do to help keep warm in the winter months of riding?

#2 ·
currently in South Texas.. but a Northern Ohio rider.... 47 years..

heated Vest, heated chaps... Heavy non leather coat... light weight gloves UNDER heavy gloves that go over sleeves of coat...
2 sets of socks... or electric socks.

keep an eye on dark pavement.. could be black ice... in shade is bad..

take care.. tomorrow is reported to be very COLD... even in McAllen/Mission.

#3 ·
I park the bike until it warms up.

Like he said layer up.
I have coveralls I can wear usually help plus fairing blocks lot of wind. I don't ride below 35 I'm not a fan of ice skating.
Blocking the wind getting to you is the main thing.
Huge rubber bands around pant legs.
Looks silly as heck but keeps the air from blowing up legs.

#9 ·
Scotch....and I spend the winters in a warmer climate.

Reactions: Hiramsaint
#11 ·
Next thing you know, someone will start a thread about battery tenders or something.:icon_poke:

#13 ·
That cold Lake Erie weather is just tailing you, Chuck. Probably would do the same if you went to equatorial Africa or Fiji. :gah:

Clothing with Gore-tex filler in gloves, boots , vests. Wool or woolrich. Rubber boots with felt liners. Typical northern hunting gear.

#15 · (Edited)
Milwaukee makes an electrically heated jacket that uses the Milwaukee M12 Lithium battery as a power source. They say ~ 6 hrs. run time on a battery and you can get extra batteries and just unplug one and plug another right in. The jacket that I have is yellow with silver reflective stripes on it. I won it in a raffle at the electrical supply house that I use, but I understand that you can get one for ~ $100.00 complete with battery and charger. Battery goes into a pouch inside the jackets left side pocket (that is open in the picture) and plugs into a short cord that is inside that pocket, looks to be pretty easy to change.

Jacket Clothing Outerwear Yellow Hood

#16 ·
Milwaukee makes an electrically heated jacket that uses the Milwaukee M12 Lithium battery as a power source. They say ~ 6 hrs. run time on a battery and you can get extra batteries and just unplug one and plug another right in. The jacket that I have is yellow with silver reflective stripes on it. I won it in a raffle at the electrical supply house that I use, but I understand that you can get one for ~ $100.00 complete with battery and charger.

View attachment 163978
What kind of temps can it handle?

#21 ·
I wear snowmobile gloves and flannel lined blue jeans with flight jacket in Tennessee and am comfortable as can be. Wishing you well. :patriot:

#25 ·
This was my Jeep..... sold it this past summer.....

Reactions: mjklaser
#31 ·
I see what you did there!:icon_biggrin:

#32 ·
Pervert.... way to go little buddy!!:47b20s0:

#42 ·
Heated seats and heated steering wheels are what keeps me warm [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#48 ·
GREAT pix, Bill. I'd love something like that. Let us all know when she's roadworthy again. Prayers and best wishes to your Mom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.