Cold Weather Gloves?

Thread: Cold Weather Gloves?

Post Thanks / Like

Cold Weather Gloves?

So I'll start off by saying, I have nerve damage in both my hands. As a result, cold temps really mess with me.

So I'm asking advice on winter/warm glove options. Heated gloves might be an idea (I'd have to wire them up of course). I currently have a pair of the padded "mesh" H-D gloves, with the jersey style liner gloves. They keep my hands warm, but my fingers still get pretty bad at sub 50 temps. I live in NC, and like today, the high is 62 (which is awesome riding) but this morning the ride to work was 41. Slow and short ride my hands survive.

What do YOU wear?

(Secondary factor...when wearing gloves/liners I have, holding the throttle cramps my thumb pretty bad at distance. Stock grips. I want to get a throttle lock and/or one of those palm rests...just havent had the $$ yet.)

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Heated is best.. never ball them up and put into pockets .. NEVER.

Thin-so-lite (sp) is nice.

thin cotton inside of Winter gloves.. work...

make sure you get the type that go over/past jacket sleeves ...keep wrists warm.. WITH YOUR ARMS OUT FORWARD.

my wrists (both) had operations..C.T... and fingers had frost bite... still ride alot.. 65 old. after op..still 60 percent loss to left,,, 50 percent to right.

I do use a throttle LOCK.. wrist rest do not work for me.

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Palm rests help, and I have one and use it, but nothing beats a throttle lock, except a full on cruise control. At least with a throttle lock you can drop your arm and hand down below your shoulder and shake it off.........(all right you school boys, knock off the snickering out there. Bunch of juvenile delinquents!). My favorite, and I have had two different ones is the Brake Away Throttle Lock. It is somewhat pricey and takes some adjustments to get the brake release just right, but it is the easiest to set without your speed changing after you set it. It doesn't drift down after it is set (my first one (Go Cruise) the friction had to be set so tight to keep it from vibrating down that I could not set it without having the throttle change position while setting and would then have to keep messing with it afterwords to get the speed that I wanted.
    Last edited by SPARKY5151; 12-22-2016 at 11:16 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    there is an aftermarket cruise control for cars that can be adapted to motorcycles... search will be needed...

I did many years ago.. 90's...

had 2 goldwings with cruise from factory .. real nice. and still installed a throttle lock for quick use...

6. ThanksSempai thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver F View Post
    Thin-so-lite (sp) is nice.
    I believe you are referring to Thinsulate ...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    I believe you are referring to Thinsulate ...?
    there you go.. good stuff. my cold weather gloves has this stuff.. a few years old... but good.

Vinish is offline Super Moderator
    Michigan Riders Group
    Midland, MI in Summer and The Villages, FL in winter
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a skier, I can offer this advice. For glove liners (thin secondary gloves that go inside of the thick insulated outer gloves), go with a thin non-cotton type with a reflective component to the fabric (typically some aluminum coated plastic thread). These will minimize the bulkiness, maximize the insulating ability (reflective thread), and will also wick moisture away which cotton does not do. In general, having cotton as the layer nearest the skin is the worst thing for keeping warm as any sweat will usually condense and be readily absorbed by the cotton which then traps the heat-robbing water right next to your skin. Modern fabrics that wick the moisture are the best. The only natural fibers that work well are silk which is a good inner layer but too expensive compared to the even better performing modern/plastic fabrics and wool which no one wants next to their skin

Post Thanks / Like

Cold Weather Gloves?

I use the gear from Hotwired which I bought at Cycle Gear. I ride all year long so spending the money was worth my while. The insoles for my boots plug into the cords that are prewired into the overpants. My glove liners plug into the wires prewired into the jacket liner. The pants can plug right into the jacket and run with the same controller, but I found my feet got way too hot and opted to run a second controller for the pants/feet.
    AFFORDABLE pricing through Cycle Gear, too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishingfoolemjak is offline Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a fairing and it does pretty good at keeping the wind off my hands... I too am looking for gloves though....

I have the brake away throttle lock which I like a lot! I also use the throttle boss which does good too.... sometimes my hand gets so numb that I can't lock the brake away so I have to use the throttle boss and let my thumb regain feeling then I can lock the throttle and give my hand a break!

Vinish is offline Super Moderator
    Michigan Riders Group
    Midland, MI in Summer and The Villages, FL in winter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Your hand gets so numb that you cannot press the button on the Brake-Away to engage it? That is VERY numb. I suspect some underlying medical problem or a really bad ergonomic arrangement of your bars/seat leading to a riding posture that is not good for your personal size/shape.

Thread Information