Honda trident??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda trident??

Fishingfoolemjak is online now Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like

Honda trident??

Alright gentlemen..... I need some help here... I'm looking at a 1981 Honda CX500 trident (as a trike for my wife to ride), but I can't seem to find any valuations on them. The best my research has found is that a company named trident built roughly 1000 of them, then went out of business. On cx forums that I searched, I find that they seem to be pretty good little trikes, easy to work on and find parts for, and when one comes up for sale they all act like they are interested in buying it.... but no valuation!! The one I'm looking at seems to be in pretty good shape, supposedly runs decent/good and he's asking 2600 for it. Do any of you know if that is a decent deal? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no clue to help you. But reading this reminds me of what I think is one of those bikes I looked at, back in the 80's. 500cc 3 cyl and yellow is about all I can remember. That and the guy didn't store it correctly so when we tried to start it, kick only, it only ran for a min and then never again. I went and looked elsewhere since it never ran. But I think it was one of the bikes you are talking about.

OK. I read your post wrong lol sorry I thought you were talking about a triple 500cc bike. Nevermind...nothing to see here...

3. ThanksFishingfoolemjak thanked for this post
    SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend who is wheelchair bound who buys and sells older bikes cheap off Craig's List, refurbishes them (usually involves rebuilding carbs, cleaning up brightwork, and what ever else it wrong with the bike. He has bought two trikes, after he bought the first one a second one came up and was in much better shape body and paint wise, but had been partially disassembled by an idiot that the OP had hired to fix it so he got it at a really good price (and it will become his ride when he has finished installing hand controls on it). He told me that the Trident bikes were primarily built for meter reader use although some were bought for other uses. His valuation would be to offer the guy $2000.00 tops provided the paint, bright work and mechanicals are in good shape. Remember, although some parts are still available, you are dealing with a 36 year old bike. Also, remember that this is a fairly light weight bike and not necessarily a long distance cruiser. Most important thing is does the engine / trans run and run well. If it has eng /trans problems that is seriously going to impact value. Hope this helps.

As a side note, in one of the Dirty Harry movies, the bad guys are getting away and Harry commandeers a meter cops trike to chase them. My friend says that bike should be the same one you are looking at. Hey if it's good enough for Dirty Harry how can you go wrong?
    Last edited by SPARKY5151; 12-31-2016 at 12:24 PM.

5. ThanksFishingfoolemjak, mjklaser thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    the CX500 was a good bike... only 2 issues over its life...

Comstar wheels.. the rivets. and the main engine case gasket.. if leaks.. remove engine and split ...
    parts are getting difficult to come by.. mainly carburetor parts.

as for the Trike . no information. but if parts are needed .. good luck..
    and 1000 pieces.. more like a few hundred.

Price,, there is no price... whatever he will sale it for and whatever you are willing to pay.

8. ThanksFishingfoolemjak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKY5151 View Post
    I have a friend who is wheelchair bound who buys and sells older bikes cheap off Craig's List, refurbishes them (usually involves rebuilding carbs, cleaning up brightwork, and what ever else it wrong with the bike. He has bought two trikes, after he bought the first one a second one came up and was in much better shape body and paint wise, but had been partially disassembled by an idiot that the OP had hired to fix it so he got it at a really good price (and it will become his ride when he has finished installing hand controls on it). He told me that the Trident bikes were primarily built for meter reader use although some were bought for other uses. His valuation would be to offer the guy $2000.00 tops provided the paint, bright work and mechanicals are in good shape. Remember, although some parts are still available, you are dealing with a 36 year old bike. Also, remember that this is a fairly light weight bike and not necessarily a long distance cruiser. Most important thing is does the engine / trans run and run well. If it has eng /trans problems that is seriously going to impact value. Hope this helps.

As a side note, in one of the Dirty Harry movies, the bad guys are getting away and Harry commandeers a meter cops trike to chase them. My friend says that bike should be the same one you are looking at. Hey if it's good enough for Dirty Harry how can you go wrong?
    Thanks!! That is a lot of info and help, thank you very much. Here is the link to the bike https://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/5910019984.html. To me it looks like a 1000-1200 bike, it looks a little rough, I didn't know if the rarity was adding value to it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver F View Post
    the CX500 was a good bike... only 2 issues over its life...

Comstar wheels.. the rivets. and the main engine case gasket.. if leaks.. remove engine and split ...
    parts are getting difficult to come by.. mainly carburetor parts.

as for the Trike . no information. but if parts are needed .. good luck..
    and 1000 pieces.. more like a few hundred.

Price,, there is no price... whatever he will sale it for and whatever you are willing to pay.
    A buddy of mine always says something's worth only what someone will pay... I'm pretty cheap, so things usually aren't worth much to me!

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishingfoolemjak View Post
    Thanks!! That is a lot of info and help, thank you very much. Here is the link to the bike https://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/5910019984.html. To me it looks like a 1000-1200 bike, it looks a little rough, I didn't know if the rarity was adding value to it....
    Not Likely!!!!!!!

12. ThanksFishingfoolemjak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKY5151 View Post
    Not Likely!!!!!!!
    Roger... thanks for the help and input.... I think I'm gonna pass on the trident, I showed it to my wife and she wasnt super into it... thanks again!

Bassdude404 is online now The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paint it white and sell ice cream from it??...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a great line!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information