Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Road trips. (Admin remove if covered in another thread)

700 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  PaXman11 
#1 ·
So this last fall I bought a '02 VTX 1800C. I have some plans to go on some long rids this summer but I'm concerned about the fuel economy of the bike. I haven't figured out yet if my tank has a reserve valve on it or not. is 120 miles normal to about 3.6 gallons of gas at interstate speeds? and what else would you recommend I take into consideration for a long multi-day ride. I want to go from the Minnesota Twin Cities to Yellowstone.

#2 ·
2002 and 2003 has the fuel pump INSIDE of gas tank... plus the tank is smaller then newer ones... you are missing about 1 gallon.

most get 35 to 40 mpg... some way less.

No reserve valve.. just a Low Fuel Light... it turns on at 1 gallon remaining. . plus or minus point 2...

refuel every 100 to 120 miles,,,, 150 is MAX.

you purchased a LARGE hot-rod... it eats lots...

#3 ·
Like Silver F says, fuel up every 150 miles max. Your fuel mileage sounds reasonable. For long rides, stay hydrated, take breaks, wear sunscreen, and always pack rain gear. What other questions do you have about a road trip?

#8 ·
yes, but not so easy..
must have newer tank.. from same Model.. aka "C" or "N" no mixing
then added high and low pressure fuel lines... and wiring . and pump with mounting brackets.
I have no idea of area behind transmission is empty for pump. so stuff might need to be moved.. for newer pump.

I know someone on One of the VTX boards did do it. a couple of years ago.. search might bring it up...

#5 ·
120 miles on my 2003 1800s is my normal target between stops.
It does mean that when riding in the middle of nowhere I need to do some 'fuel stop' planning, which is usually not a problem.
Yes, a gallon more would be wonderful but I need to stretch my legs every two hours anyway.

#6 ·
120 miles on my 2003 1800s is my normal target between stops.
It does mean that when riding in the middle of nowhere I need to do some 'fuel stop' planning, which is usually not a problem.
Yes, a gallon more would be wonderful but I need to stretch my legs every two hours anyway.
TWSS!:icon_peace:

Reactions: PaXman11
#10 ·
Sounds like your range and mileage is about normal. Get used to it. If your light isn't coming on around 120-125, check to see if it's even working. You've figured that 3.6-3.8 is about 120 mi. thats when the light should be coming on. More tension on the right wrist affects mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.