Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Soldering Help

2K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  h2omagnet 
#1 ·
The attached pic is of the back side of my garage door opener remote. I've highlighted the area that is the back of the switch that activates the door. If I want to solder an external switch, how would I place the wires across these 4 contacts? Thank you, I'm not good with this circuit stuff!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
http:https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/586fc7c03217c/IMG_20170106_104146.jpg?

#2 ·
Remove the battery. Get your multimeter and set it to ohms or the audible connectivity setting, that's the speaker-looking setting that only sounds when your probes touch the same wire or circuit. Probe any TWO of the four prongs. One pair of them, or the other pair will sound off when probed with the button released. Now probe one prong from each pair, there will be no connectivity between them, push the button and the multimeter will let you know you've found two prongs that are switched by the button, wire these two prongs to your external switch.
Looking at you pic, I'm thinking you might be able to SEE that (as I see it in the pic) the upper two are connected to one leg of the circuit? I think I also see the bottom two are on another leg...If I'm seeing this correctly, connect either of the upper two to either of the lower two via your external switch.
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Leave the current switch intact, it will function normally, it will have no idea you've added an external switch.
Couple things to consider:
First, make sure you use a momentary switch, you'll not want to accidentally leave it switched 'on'.
Second, use a hot glue gun to apply glue directly to the wires right at the solder points, and a dab here and there to help hold the wires in place, this will help prevent damage due to vibration of the wire.
Third, you can buy a power supply kit that will reduce your bike's voltage to the voltage of the opener's battery. Using this, you could hard wire the unit in the bike and never have to change its battery.

#7 ·
I actually made this one last week to install on my GSXR. Input can be as high as 24V, output (which is adjustable with the turn of a screwdriver) is set to 3.1 volts for my application.
I bought this at a local electronics store. I'm sure you can likely find such a critter at Radio Shack?

#8 ·
You can verify that the two proposed solder points will work by just jumping them with a short piece of wire. If the garage door opens, you've identified suitable solder points.

#15 ·
You can use any appropriate conductor, nothing special about the wire your showing him... I ran some stuff on my bike and used #12 THHN... As long as it can carry the current and amperage you need then it's fine.

#16 ·
Yeah, any suitable conductor will work, I like using the stuff I posted a pic of because the shielding subdues much unwanted interference with my stereo and, an added bonus, the two wires within the single, black, round cable blends in seamlessly with factory wiring, and can be run through fairings and the like using readily available through-wall grommets. Using these items, the installation can be done in such a way that it looks factory, no one notices the one black wire...Quite the opposite if one uses speaker wire, side-by-side wires, or two individual wires routed alongside each other, these installs are easily noticed.

#17 ·
I wasn't discounting your chosen product, I just don't want people to think that's all they can use. I agree, it would make for a clean look. It also depends on you project though, you can bring power wherever you want with just one wire and ground locally to the project site... I realize though that this doesn't necessarily mean anything for the project being discussed in this thread....

Reactions: sumdatx
#20 ·
I do mostly Commercial and Industrial work, although I am spooling down. Not taking any more new construction projects, mostly support for my existing customers. NOT trying to make you feel bad or anything but I'm retiring as of May 1, 2017. Am closing the business and selling off the equipment, then start traveling. Lots of this country we have not seen and it's about time.:glee: :47b20s0:

#21 ·
Good for you Sparky, congrats on the retirement this year..
As for me, retirement has been the most boring time of my life!!!
All the time in the world but $$ keeps shrinking with economy.
May I suggest you keep your tools handy. Or take up a sport or hobby that you love...

#24 ·
:patriot: :bigarmhug: Naaaa, you'll have fun getting out on the road. You'll probably settle in somewhere in the middle between somebody always upset and the other end of the spectrum like Commodore Epiphysis (Jeff)

Reactions: SPARKY5151
#25 ·
I think it's awesome.... you could finance your retirement travels on maintenance contracts, and sub the contracts out to a trusted colleague. Congrats on your upcoming retirement, I would retire but when I think about it, my wallet just laughs and laughs....

Reactions: SPARKY5151
#26 ·
My dad retired a few years ago and said it's been the happiest time of his life....

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.