Soldering Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soldering Help

Post Thanks / Like

Soldering Help

The attached pic is of the back side of my garage door opener remote. I've highlighted the area that is the back of the switch that activates the door. If I want to solder an external switch, how would I place the wires across these 4 contacts? Thank you, I'm not good with this circuit stuff!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/586fc7c0...06_104146.jpg?

Post Thanks / Like
    Remove the battery. Get your multimeter and set it to ohms or the audible connectivity setting, that's the speaker-looking setting that only sounds when your probes touch the same wire or circuit. Probe any TWO of the four prongs. One pair of them, or the other pair will sound off when probed with the button released. Now probe one prong from each pair, there will be no connectivity between them, push the button and the multimeter will let you know you've found two prongs that are switched by the button, wire these two prongs to your external switch.
    Looking at you pic, I'm thinking you might be able to SEE that (as I see it in the pic) the upper two are connected to one leg of the circuit? I think I also see the bottom two are on another leg...If I'm seeing this correctly, connect either of the upper two to either of the lower two via your external switch.
    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sempai View Post
    Remove the battery. Get your multimeter and set it to ohms or the audible connectivity setting, that's the speaker-looking setting that only sounds when your probes touch the same wire or circuit. Probe any TWO of the four prongs. One pair of them, or the other pair will sound off when probed with the button released. Now probe one prong from each pair, there will be no connectivity between them, push the button and the multimeter will let you know you've found two prongs that are switched by the button, wire these two prongs to your external switch.
    Looking at you pic, I'm thinking you might be able to SEE that (as I see it in the pic) the upper two are connected to one leg of the circuit? I think I also see the bottom two are on another leg...If I'm seeing this correctly, connect either of the upper two to either of the lower two via your external switch.
    Thank you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    And do I have to remove the current switch or do anything to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Leave the current switch intact, it will function normally, it will have no idea you've added an external switch.
    Couple things to consider:
    First, make sure you use a momentary switch, you'll not want to accidentally leave it switched 'on'.
    Second, use a hot glue gun to apply glue directly to the wires right at the solder points, and a dab here and there to help hold the wires in place, this will help prevent damage due to vibration of the wire.
    Third, you can buy a power supply kit that will reduce your bike's voltage to the voltage of the opener's battery. Using this, you could hard wire the unit in the bike and never have to change its battery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are those purchased?

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually made this one last week to install on my GSXR. Input can be as high as 24V, output (which is adjustable with the turn of a screwdriver) is set to 3.1 volts for my application.
    I bought this at a local electronics store. I'm sure you can likely find such a critter at Radio Shack?

Vinish is online now Super Moderator
    Michigan Riders Group
    Midland, MI in Summer and The Villages, FL in winter
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can verify that the two proposed solder points will work by just jumping them with a short piece of wire. If the garage door opens, you've identified suitable solder points.

10. ThanksRenegadeRick, PaXman11 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sempai View Post
    I actually made this one last week to install on my GSXR. Input can be as high as 24V, output (which is adjustable with the turn of a screwdriver) is set to 3.1 volts for my application.
    I bought this at a local electronics store. I'm sure you can likely find such a critter at Radio Shack?

Can I assume that our trip odometer reset switch is a momentary switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by h2omagnet View Post
    Can I assume that our trip odometer reset switch is a momentary switch?

Yes, it'll be momentary, but surely you're not considering jumping off that switch?? Do you happen to have a 'flash to pass' button? I'd more likely consider the horn button before the trip resetter...What are you thinking about doing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information