grips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grips

Post Thanks / Like

grips

Has anyone used golf club grip tape to put grips on their bike? Or do any of you think this isn't a good idea? Seems to me this would be the easiest way, with the most time to get them where I want them. I am open to suggestions also. I have read where guys aren't able to get grips on all the way before glue sets , with the normal glue that is supplied. Just looking for something that gives ample time to install.

Post Thanks / Like
    IDK. I just get my clubs re-gripped with new ones for a few bucks apiece. Someone will be along with a proper answer for you, be patient.

Post Thanks / Like
    I now have a whole new question. I just removed throttle side grip, and the throttle sleeve is broken. The end with the threads to screw endcap on is broken clear off. I now need a new throttle sleeve. How hard is that to change, and can I just get new grips that come with a sleeve? Sorry about all the questions, just got bike this past summer and all that I know has come from reading on here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Fishingfoolemjak is online now Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiramsaint is online now Deplorable member Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty8076 View Post
    I now have a whole new question. I just removed throttle side grip, and the throttle sleeve is broken. The end with the threads to screw endcap on is broken clear off. I now need a new throttle sleeve. How hard is that to change, and can I just get new grips that come with a sleeve? Sorry about all the questions, just got bike this past summer and all that I know has come from reading on here.
    What kind of grips do you have now? What glue? I've removed mine twice and just use a little water with a drop of soap in it. It slides right on and dries fairly quickly. Never had one even try to move or slip off. Do they aftermarket grips need glue? The reason I ask is because I have stock grips. I've tried Kury and some others but don't like them in the least. Maybe I'm just a carnie!

Vinish is online now Super Moderator
    Michigan Riders Group
    Midland, MI in Summer and The Villages, FL in winter
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I installed Kuryakyn Iso grips to a VTX1300, I first tried a press fit on the left grip and it would rotate on the bars. It was not tight enough on the bar so I used some glue. I've used superglue which dries very quickly so you have to be certain to get the grip on and properly positioned in rotation very quickly. I've also used Gorilla glue which takes about a day to dry/cure. It gives you lots of time to reposition the grips and holds well but it expands about 3X when drying/curing so you have to bear this in mind when selecting where to apply the glue and how much to apply.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to put stock grips back on. I will not be able to do that now, at least without a new throttle sleeve. Seeing how the threaded end and a small piece is broken off. I guess I need to know what my options are? Can I purchase a new after market grip with a throttle sleeve, Just a new sleeve, put old grip back on? What I am thinking now is I can get the ISO grips that glue on, however definitely can't use glue now because of piece missing might glue sleeve to bar. I would need to use the tape for golf clubs. Does anyone know if I would need that threaded end on sleeve for ISO grips? Any info will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put on a set of AVON grips.
    Left grip was held on via allen head set screws
    Right was held on by the cables and clam shell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fishingfool posted a link to a new grip assembly. If you don't want to buy new, maybe try ebay for a used factory grip. I don't know why you would want to mess around with tape...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the grips need to be adhered to the throttle tube with something. from reading different things on the web, glue sets quick. Since I have put grips on golf clubs before, I thought that would be easier. Maybe some of you Don't really understand what i'm talking about. Thanks for the responses .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information