Trouble Starting...Please Help..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Starting...Please Help..

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble Starting...Please Help..

Ihave a 2004 VTX 1300C only 13k miles on it and it seems like after riding itfor let's say a minimum of a hour and then letting it sit overnight or for 8 hours or more when I try to start it up it will sound weak and within a min just cut off and notstart up. After a hour or so I can go back and it will start right up.

It'sfrustrating because I'm ready to go out and it won't start and I have to wait ahour or so before it will start again.. I have taken it to a shop who found nothing wrong, they said they rode it and then let it sit but it always started right up but it is a common problem I have been having for the last 3-4 months.

Anyonehad this issue or one similar or know a fix or what it is that's obviouslywrong with it.

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Things to check....

Battery cables...Tighten them with a 10mm socket, not a screwdriver...

Starter pushbutton switch..Common issue where the contacts get corroded and need cleaned up...Sounds far more intimidating than it really is, but needs to be taken apart and clean the contacts with a green scotchbrite pad, put a little dielectric grease on them and put it back together...

Battery could be old and dying also...Take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested if the other two things doesn't solve it...

3. Thankssumdatx, nate6966, mjklaser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the bettery tested and it's good, actually on about 3 months old. I will clean the starter this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the insite I just need to find someone knowledgable in my area that can work on it or come check it out. It's been in a local shop and of course they couldn't find anything wrong.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try this. The next time you start it and it dies and you can not get it to restart, immediately pull the fuel line (large hose) from the petcock to the carb at the petcock end. Place a rag under the petcock outlet port. Pull the vacuum line from the petcock (small hose) and replace it with a short piece of hose the same diameter as the small hose you just removed (get that hose ahead of time and have it on hand as time is a critical element in this test). Suck on the other end of that hose, you don't have to suck hard, you should see fuel flowing from the outlet port into the rag. If not you have a problem with the vacuum diaphragm!!! Probably a crack or pin hole in the diaphragm. If not than you have at least verified that the petcock, diaphragm and fuel filter in the tank are not the problem and then we can move on to other likely candidates.

7. Thankssumdatx, mjklaser thanked for this post
    Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point....Is it a fuel issue "cranking but not firing"???....Or is it electrical "I hit the button, and nothing"??...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I will try that. When I press the starter button it sounds like it wants to turnover and start and everything electrical comes on and works.. Headlight..brake and tail lights just won't start.

10. Thankssumdatx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clean and re-torque battery connections at Battery...
    Common issue, riding buddy just went through it.
    Been telling him for months & months what to do, he ignored me... (lazy)
    Oh well, finally did it and now its great...

Post Thanks / Like
    Battery is only a few motnhs old, posts are clean and connection seems tight. Should I use dielectric grease on the battery connections?

Vinish is online now Super Moderator
    Michigan Riders Group
    Midland, MI in Summer and The Villages, FL in winter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to be a nitpicker but you didn't really answer the question so pick A or B from the following list as the symptoms you are encountering:

A) When the problem is encountered, the engine turns over when I press the starter button but the engine will not run on its own once I let go of the starter button or
    B) When the problem is encountered, the engine will not turn over or turns over very slowly or erratically when I press the starter button

sumdatx is offline Deplorable Member
    Virginia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RayAtl2017 View Post
    Ok, I will try that. When I press the starter button it sounds like it wants to turnover and start and everything electrical comes on and works.. Headlight..brake and tail lights just won't start.
    I agree with Bill on this. What you are saying are classic symptoms of a corroded starter button. If you haven't, you should download the service manual in the "stickies" at the top of this page. In it you'll find a wiring diagram. There are many many 1300 systems that go thru that starter switch. Just do what Bill suggested and you should be good to go. I've had this to deal with too and was happy to find it pretty cheap to fix the problem. Since my first cleaning and use of dielectric grease, I took it apart the next year and it still looked really good. Easy fix and a regular maintenance item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information