Trouble Starting...Please Help.. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble Starting...Please Help..

Post Thanks / Like
    It really neither of those by them selves...but bit of a combination of them .. what actually happens is that I go out start the bike as normal and it will run but sound very weak and sluggish and within a minute the engine will cut off (power to everything else still on). When I go to try to start it again and press the starter button it sounds like it is trying to start up but the engine will not crank or turn over. After letting it sit about an hour I can start it right up again.

This issue also only happen's after the bike has been out for a good ride nd then is parked usually over night and the next morning boom the issue above.

Hope this gives you more detail as to what exactly is occurring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, well that will be the 1st thing I try.

3. Thankssumdatx thanked for this post
    nate6966 is online now The Member with the 1800 Washington State Riders Group
    Idaho Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it starts then dies, then acts like the battery is getting weak... possible stator problem (failing to generate current to keep the bike going and keep the battery charged?)??

5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, when you are troubleshooting a problem such as this it is best to test one system at a time instead of jumping around from one to the other and best to make one correction at a time and then check (by riding, starting, checking to see if what you did corrected your entire problem or only maybe one part of your issue.

This is really the only way to be sure to eventually cure your issue. If you don't mind, lets start with the electrical system as several of your issues are directly related to what we have seen in previous numerous times. So lets start with the battery, Regardless of whether the battery is new or older remove it and charge it. Take it to a name brand auto parts store like Kragen, Pep Boys, etc., most of them have a 100 amp load tester and will load test the battery for free. Call around and find one that has the tester and will test for free. While you are there pick up a tube of Di-lectric Grease as you will use it several times while going though your bike. If the battery passes the load test, let us know and we will move on to re-installing the battery and testing the next part of the electrical system. We CAN get this straightened out, we have helped many other members with these same issues and I can't remember a single time that we didn't end with a positive conclusion.

7. Thanksnate6966 thanked for this post
    mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RayAtl2017 View Post
    It really neither of those by them selves...but bit of a combination of them .. what actually happens is that I go out start the bike as normal and it will run but sound very weak and sluggish and within a minute the engine will cut off (power to everything else still on). When I go to try to start it again and press the starter button it sounds like it is trying to start up but the engine will not crank or turn over. After letting it sit about an hour I can start it right up again.

This issue also only happen's after the bike has been out for a good ride nd then is parked usually over night and the next morning boom the issue above.

Hope this gives you more detail as to what exactly is occurring.

Being a new battery and all, this sounds like an intermittent fuel flow problem to me. But when you state "When I go to try to start it again and press the starter button it sounds like it is trying to start up but the engine will not crank or turn over.", it totally confuses me. So first, please let us clarify terminology - 'cranking' and 'turning over' mean virtually the same thing, which is that the starter has been electrically engaged and by its spinning action, it is turning the crankshaft via the flywheel and thus moving the internal reciprocating components of the engine through their cycles - 'turning over' is the first complete 4-stroke cycle, whereas 'cranking' is doing it multiple times, in order to get the engine to 'fire' or 'start'.

So when you say "it sounds like it is trying to start up", you make it seem like the engine is 'cranking' - but, then you go on to say "but the engine will not crank or turn over". By that last phrase, do you actually mean that the engine won't 'start'? This is a very common misuse of automotive terminology and causes much confusion to diagnosers, as seen by the various responses above. So I am asking you to please clarify: by my definition above, when engaging the starter, does the starter spin and does the engine 'turn over' and 'crank', but not 'start'? Or does the starter not spin and thus the engine does not 'turn over' and 'crank' at all? This will clarify if likely an electrical (starting circuit) or fuel/ignition problem... thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 2-3 month old Bikemaster battery that was fine, then just crapped out for no good reason. Always on a battery tender too. An intermittent weak cell will show 12 volts but not do what its supposed to. Follow the steps suggested, starting with 100 % eliminating a battery problem, then move down the list with starter button. Keep us posted on your progress.

10. Thanksnate6966 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information