Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Forward controls - what do I need to know?

892 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ak-rider 
#1 ·
Thinking of going to forward controls and wondering what I need to know (knowing nothing about them really). Looking to make my bike more friendly to my long legs & more of a custom look. Would appreciate any thoughts on them, brand recommendations, etc.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I know nothing about them being a short-legged fellow :) However, member Justpics put some on in the past so he might be able to help. You might try PMing him. Also make sure to list what type and submodel bike.

#4 ·
#7 ·
I bought a set of those Mapam forward controls from the guy in the link that wigit posted. I paid 280 Euros delivered to Alaska, which would be right at $300 USD right now. They were quick to ship, and it didn't take long to get here from Italy (I had the install write-up done less than two weeks from the day I ordered them).

As has been noted, they don't come with any instructions. But the installation isn't overly complicated. For reference to how I did it, here's a LINK to the installation write-up I put together. I've only had them installed for one riding season, but the finish is holding up well, and I haven't had any issues at all with them once I got them adjusted.

Also, you're correct. Crash bars and forward controls typically don't work together. and the Mapams are no exception. I am currently in the process of attempting to modify a few things to allow me to install a set of Cobra Fatty bars. But it's certainly not a simple bolt-on process, and I'm not even sure I can make it work.

These are the only forward controls I've ever installed/used, so I have no direct comparison with other units. That said, I can fully recommend the Mapams based on my personal experience at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.