Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Upshifting problem AGAIN

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Handsome 
#1 ·
Pulled the footboard, cleaned and Moly-pasted the shifter pivot point as many here suggested. Shifted fine for maybe a hundred miles and reverted back to having to tap shifter with toe in order to upshift with my heel(same as original problem). Other than pulling footboard and repeating the cleaning and moly-pasting, any further advice is appreciated and needed.

#2 ·
Hmmm... has the linkage been impacted at all? I haven't heard of this happening before, at least with the shifter being the problem.

Tell us more... how many miles are on your 1800R now? Have you ever done any upgrades to the clutch or springs? How's the clutch fluid? How's the bike respond to the attempted shift (noise, jerking, etc)?

First thoughts are the heal/toe shift linkage may need to be adjusted, but if it's progressively worse or the resistance is coming from the transmission, it may have to do with the clutch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 74+
#3 ·
Pulled cover off again this AM and sprayed lubricant on both ball joints(?). Up on the jack the shifter returns fine when down or up shifting--so I think the return spring is fine. To answer your questions: 1. 15,000 miles. 2. no upgrades to clutch or springs. 3. clutch fluid is clean. 4. Bike responds perfectly when shifting(except shifter will not return when up-shifting unless I tap the shifter lightly with my toe and then it up-shifts fine.

#5 ·
Internal Spring sounds good.
Only thing left is the linkage..
May have to take it off and clean it up well, including pivot ball joints etc and shaft.
And get some good grease in it.

I think I read a year or more ago about an internal spring that broke, had to be replaced !!
But that had no return no matter what he did...????

#6 ·
I have no experience with your issue on a bike. HOWEVER...with the millions of miles I've driven with a manual transmission in cars, those little plastic/poly-something bushings will wreak all kinds of havoc on shifting. Even in windshield wiper transmissions. (Yes, there is such a thing) And if the linkage is bent even the slightest, that will make the problem worse. Try disconnecting the bushing to the transmission itself and check for freeplay there. Should be no slop. It's also not uncommon that things will work fine when not being used like they normally would be. Shifting fine on a lift doesn't mean that the linkage/bushings are fine. I found this diagram and hopefully it will be of some help. I'm glad the parts aren't that expensive. Looks like part #3 is the bushing, and there are two. Please let us know what you find out.

EDIT: Looks like the bushing for the linkage arm could be the culprit as well. It's #14

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c4a4ef870023420a35678/pedal

#8 ·
Here is a video I found that covers most of it plus a few other issues that cause shifting problems..
Hope it helps.... :)
He also refers to Bareasschoppers.com forum for some other tips and trick, great site for VTX Lot of videos and step by step.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uopy6uykqWo

#9 ·
That video's the best suggestion I would consider as well. If this doesn't work, then I'm lost on this one (I don't have a H/T shifter on my 1800F - pegs)

#10 ·
Hey man, did you ever think about trying a different grease on the pivot point?

I had a VLX that I had cleaned and re-greased the shifter pivot with Lucas Red'n'Tacky because that's what I had laying around (won't wash out, perfect, right?). Put it back together and I had to to do the exact same thing as you- tap the shifter because it would stick. A thin coat of marine grease and I didn't have to touch it again. My theory is I over-greased, as well as used a type of grease the bike didn't agree with. Just a thought, anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.