Did my forks get serviced right???

Thread: Did my forks get serviced right???

Post Thanks / Like

Doh Did my forks get serviced right???

Hello from Kansas.
    I paid a bike shop to replace my fork seals and I am in the process of reinstalling them. I inserted both forks into the triple trees and went to check for a slip fit by inserting the front axle. The right fork was about a 1/2 inch too low. Is this simply fixed by putting on the wheel and exercising the fork or did the shop not service my forks properly?? I'm at a stand still till I get some expertise from you all.
    Thank you.

Hiramsaint is offline Deplorable member Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would assume the bike is on a lift. Can you pull the left fork down at all? I'm also guessing that they are both locked flush into the tree. Were the springs replaced? You may need to call the bike shop and find out exactly what they did. The bad thing about bike shop's is that they aren't working on their own bikes so occasionally, they don't treat your bike like it's theirs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the end of this how to on Fork springs from Bareass Choppers page. everything you need is there.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/susp...ment-vtx-1800/

4. ThanksFishingfoolemjak thanked for this post
  5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so here's what I ended up doing. I loosened the upper pinch bolt and slid the right fork up until i got a slip fit with the axle, then I proceeded to tap down on the top of the the right fork with a rubber mallet until the right fork tube was aligned with the left fork tube. With the axle holding both fork bottoms even, I was able to force the fork oil through the fork tube orifice and compress the fork until I arrived at the desired height. Hopefully, when I remove the axle to install the front wheel, the fork will remain at the same height and not extend. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hiramsaint! I was able to get it. I don't believe I will be using that particular bike shop again. I had to take them my Clymer VTX manual so they would know how much fork oil to service it with. So much for me trusting that shop to do maintenance for me. Never again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRick View Post
    Check out the end of this how to on Fork springs from Bareass Choppers page. everything you need is there.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/susp...ment-vtx-1800/
    Thanks Renegade Rick

Hiramsaint is offline Deplorable member Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMEX72 View Post
    Thanks Hiramsaint! I was able to get it. I don't believe I will be using that particular bike shop again. I had to take them my Clymer VTX manual so they would know how much fork oil to service it with. So much for me trusting that shop to do maintenance for me. Never again.
    I have no idea how much mechanical prowess you have. I have an average amount but with all the knowledge on this board, I feel confident in tackling anything short of an engine rebuild. Most small maint. things can be done by you with help from people on here and in the end, though it may take a smidge longer, you'll have the satisfaction of DIY, saving a few semolians and knowing that it was done right. Look for tech sessions in your area, usually in the spring, and have willing people who know these bikes help you out. I have and am very thankful for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the kind of stuff that just chaps my buttocks. Pay someone to do it and they give them back to you and are noticeably different looking? How do people miss that? And then they wonder why people don't come back. When I punch parts at work I do it like I'm buying them. I do that at every job and people laugh and talk smack sometimes. I simply ask them if they needed open heart surgery would they want a Dr that thinks like they do, or one that actually cares about what he does. They usually just walk away.

11. ThanksHiramsaint thanked for this post

Thread Information