Difference with baffles in or out

Thread: Difference with baffles in or out

Post Thanks / Like

Difference with baffles in or out

Was wondering people's experiences with removing the baffles from aftermarket exhausts. Obviously it would be louder but have you guys noticed a drop in your low end torque? Did you have to jet differently? Did you guys prefer the sound with or without baffles? I've got a 1300C with Vance and Hines Bigshots with the baffles in currently, am considering removing them cause a friend has the same set up but with no baffles and I'm kinda jealous of the bass of his idle .

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
    Was wondering people's experiences with removing the baffles from aftermarket exhausts. Obviously it would be louder but have you guys noticed a drop in your low end torque? Did you have to jet differently? Did you guys prefer the sound with or without baffles? I've got a 1300C with Vance and Hines Bigshots with the baffles in currently, am considering removing them cause a friend has the same set up but with no baffles and I'm kinda jealous of the bass of his idle .
    Well that's because you still have your hearing and he is probably deaf as a stump!!!!!!

3. ThanksPaXman11, mjklaser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKY5151 View Post
    Well that's because you still have your hearing and he is probably deaf as a stump!!!!!!
    Haha true the loudness of my bike now is perfect but the bass of his is what I want. But I do like my hearing haha

5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    On a 1300, a PAIR valve removal will modestly lower the tone. Didn't seem to do much anything for my 1800 with the HK 3" straights. I've had the HK baffles out, trying a wrap, just trying to tone it down a bit. You really have to make sure they're in there tight, or they'll rattle. My rattle drove me nuts till I figured it was the baffles just a tiny bit loose. I added Smartz shorty baffles inside and to the rear of the HK's. That dropped it a modest amount, and gives a little extra back pressure, which translates into just a bit more bottom end grunt. Now- I have a new set of HK 3" going on this spring, with just the longer baffles in them. I'll ride for a bit before playing with adding the Smartz to them. BTW, I'd been chasing getting rid of some de-cel popping, and thought it may have been due to reduced back pressure. Still not sure about it, it may be my PC3 fuel Mgr. needs re-mapped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaXman11 View Post
    On a 1300, a PAIR valve removal will modestly lower the tone. Didn't seem to do much anything for my 1800 with the HK 3" straights. I've had the HK baffles out, trying a wrap, just trying to tone it down a bit. You really have to make sure they're in there tight, or they'll rattle. My rattle drove me nuts till I figured it was the baffles just a tiny bit loose. I added Smartz shorty baffles inside and to the rear of the HK's. That dropped it a modest amount, and gives a little extra back pressure, which translates into just a bit more bottom end grunt. Now- I have a new set of HK 3" going on this spring, with just the longer baffles in them. I'll ride for a bit before playing with adding the Smartz to them. BTW, I'd been chasing getting rid of some de-cel popping, and thought it may have been due to reduced back pressure. Still not sure about it, it may be my PC3 fuel Mgr. needs re-mapped.
    On mine the pair valve is already removed and I noticed a tiny difference in the exhaust tone but it got rid of 90? of my popping.

Post Thanks / Like
    The carb'd 1300 may be easier to tune out the popping than the FI 1800. IDK, but hope I pin it down this season.

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was wondering people's experiences with removing the baffles from aftermarket exhausts. Obviously it would be louder but have you guys noticed a drop in your low end torque? Did you have to jet differently?
    You will lose low end torque running without baffles, and jetting will not bring it back....

10. ThanksPaXman11, mjklaser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdude404 View Post
    Was wondering people's experiences with removing the baffles from aftermarket exhausts. Obviously it would be louder but have you guys noticed a drop in your low end torque? Did you have to jet differently?
    You will lose low end torque running without baffles, and jetting will not bring it back....
    Thank you. After being on my bike for more than 4 continuous hours over the weekend if I had anymore noise it'd get to the point of being stupid loud haha. Thanks for the reply.

Thread Information