2002 VTX 1800 C - Not Starting

Thread: 2002 VTX 1800 C - Not Starting

Post Thanks / Like

2002 VTX 1800 C - Not Starting

Good Morning, I have a 2002 VTX 1800 that will not start. I went to go take it out the other day on an unusually warm New England winter day and the battery we weak and would not turn the bike over. I hooked up my battery charger/starter as I have done in the past and set it to the Start function. When I went to turn the bike over something strange happened. The bike began to turn over, and when I let go of the start button it continued to crank I then turned the handlebar switch off and it continued to crank. Then I turned the key off and it still cranked, slower and slower. I quickly disconnected the charger leads and everything stopped. Now, nothing works. I turn the key, flip the handlebar switch and the fuel pump doesn't prime, no lights come on, nothing happens. I checked the two 30 amp fuses and they both seem good.

I am unsure where to look next. Could it be the key switch, the starter solenoid, I am just really unsure where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fishingfoolemjak is online now Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you had the battery out? Wouldn't hurt to have it load tested and then when reinstalled use a socket to tighten the leads. Also, another possibility could be the starter switch sticking, it may need to be cleaned.

Fishingfoolemjak is online now Mental Member Tennessee Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, do you have any electrical peripherals wired on the bike? Could it be something else shorting and causing issues??

4. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Start by taking the battery to an auto store that will do a 100 amp LOAD test. You likely have a weak or dead cell or two. The 1800 needs optimal battery juice for normal operation, and it sounds like your weak battery caused your solenoid contacts to stick or weld together, thats why it kept cranking. Probably replace battery, solenoid, and clean the starter switch contacts. And buy a Battery Tender. My original battery lasted over 12 years ( the PO and me) on the tender when not in riding use.

Vinish is offline Super Moderator
    Michigan Riders Group
    Midland, MI in Summer and The Villages, FL in winter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wack the solenoid firmly with a hard wooden object like a dowel in an attempt to dislodge the welded together contacts. Disconnect the battery and charge it. Make sure the bike is in neutral and then double and triple check this. Connect the battery back up and if the starter runs, you will have to replace the solenoid before preceding further. If the starter does NOT turn, you still need to replace the solenoid but you can do this with less urgency. After you reach the point where you can reattach the batter cables, tighten the battery connections with a socket.

Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced my starter solenoid not long ago because it stuck just like yours. I believe it was $11 on eBay. I charged the battery up and all has been well ever since.

Thread Information