04 1300 Coolant leak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 1300 Coolant leak

Post Thanks / Like

04 1300 Coolant leak

BLUF: Coolant leaking (gushing) from reservoir breather tube

Background: Bike was overheating at highway speeds, took her home and found very little coolant left. Drained what remained, spent a few days tightening up various hoses (recommended fix from this site). Filled her up with distilled water, and had water gushing out of the radiator cap area (had the tank on, couldnt see exactly where). Took the tank off, re-attached the reservoir cap and re-tightened all connections in that area. Bike ran clean for ~12 minutes, then started dumping out of the reservoir breather tube. Noticed the reservoir was completely full, so I dumped it down to the LOWER line. restarted the bike, same thing happened.

My thoughts are one of the following:
    A: My dumb ass dumped too much water in the radiator/reservoir when I was troubleshooting, and i need to run a heat/dump cycle a few times
    OR
    B: My radiator cap isn't sealing, and I need a new one.

If option B is the case, is the cap something I can buy at any bike/auto shop, or do I need to order the specific one? I was hoping to ride Saturday with the ALR, so I hope local is an option.

Any other advice/suggestions/corrections would be welcome. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I'm motivated to get back on 2 wheels. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update; the reservoir was bone dry after cooling. Ran the bike ~5 minutes and the reservoir started filling back to the top again.

So I'm thinking option B above, or possibly the water pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it getting hot? If it's getting hot it can cause pressure build up.. have you noticed any water in the oil or moister in the exhaust at all? If you have access to a gauge to put on the fill cap and start the bike to see how much pressure it's building if it's not building to much then could be your cap if it's building way more pressure than stated on your cap then you could have other issues going on good luck to you

Ride free ride safe

4. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like the thermostat maybe bad. Is your fan coming on?

6. ThanksHiramsaint thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince in FL View Post
    or waterpump

thermostats are "designed" to fail in the open position but in my personal experience, I've seen them fail closed too. The good news is that you can run w/o a thermo for troubleshooting purposes

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll let it run after work today, see if the fan comes on...but I don't remember it spinning when I was testing before. If the fan doesn't come on, should I be thinking thermostat?

Hiramsaint is offline Deplorable member Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince in FL View Post
    That's what it sounds like to me but..........I have been wrong in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: just swapped the thermostat (those hoses are a major PITA!), Looks like it might've fixed it. Have some smoke on the water pump now, think I need to replace the washer for the drain bolt. Other than that, seems fine in the garage. Gonna road test it shortly.

Haven't once seen the fan come on while troubleshooting... Should I be concerned? It's not that hot out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, anyone happen to know where to buy that sealant washer for the water pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Without special ordering that washer, I ended up using the original washer with some gasket paper in front it. It has held up for the last week with around 500 miles on it. I have since tracked down some similar washers and replacement bolts( stainless steel) for that pump (I have another thread on it). I got them at a hardware store in the copper washer bin(6.5 mm I believe). On another note do not tighten that bolt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask me about the consequences

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information