Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Engine dies at highway speed

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Silver F 
#1 ·
I recently purchase a low mileage (4800 mi.) 2004 1800r. The bike starts, idles and runs for short distances with no issues. The bike will die, like its out of gas, at sustained speeds of 50 mph for a few minutes. I've done the ground fixes, checked all voltages at the pump, checked fuel flow to the pump, checked the relay, etc.... Is there anything I'm missing at this point? My only conclusion is its starving the fuel pump due to a clogged filter but don't want to drop $400 without exhausting all other options. Any help is greatly appreciated.

also, no codes are being shown either.

#2 ·
Wire connector under the seat at the computer. Sometimes, there is stress on these wires and there may be a broken one. The intermittent problem leads me to believe it's related to an electrical problem.

#3 ·
Simple stuff First..

side stand switch... wires for same.
bad tip over switch... wires for same.
bad run/stop switch.. wires for same.

and the biggest one of all.. have battery tested.. broken internal parts..... BAD/Dirty battery cables/connections...

all VTX are well know to loosen battery cable bolts...use a wrench.. NOT a screwdriver...

#4 ·
Wasn't the fuel pressure regulator a problem with that year? Not enough pressure when you need it will make it die as well

Reactions: nate6966
#5 ·
possible... design was changed at the 2004 model year... so early 2004 MIGHT have the poor designed one...
2002 and 2003 do have the poor design... but to test.. smell motor oil.. if it smells like gas in oil... its maybe..

I never heard of one causing the engine to die while going down a road. but anything is possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.